From: Tom Frieze <tfr@ca1.leids.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 95 14:24:38 PST
Subject: lay ministry

I have been following the discussion concerning Matt. 28 (commission for lay
ministry or Apostolic) as well as the discussions about Baptism and
ecclesiastic authority and cannot get rid nagging concern that is raised by
the very posing of these question.  ISTM that the clerical/lay distinction is
an extra-biblical one that is being furthered here and that is potentially
harmful to the ongoing mission of the church (making disciples).  Much could
be said in this regard, but I believe one needs only read the first couple
chapters of Paul's letter to the Galatians to understand this central point:
It is the Gospel that conveys authority, not ecclesiastical office.  Note in
particular Paul's attitude toward the "other" apostles in 2:6.  Paul
emphasizes that the only thing Paul received from human agency was the
"recognition" of the grace given him (2:9) by those who were recognized as
apostles and that the criterion for judgment of authority is not
ecclesiastical office but faithful presentation of the gospel (see esp. 1:8).

- --
___|___ Pastor Tom