        Subject: NT Documents
        Re: Date of Revelation
        Re: Revelation and the Canon ..
        Re: Date of Revelation
        Truth in John 18.37-38
        Re: genre of Revelation
        Finally!
        Re: young man
        Re: Cluster Analysis of NT Chapters

From: Georg Stubkjaer Adamsen <gsadamsn@login.dknet.dk>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 08:09:12 -0100
Subject: Re: Jerusalem/Babylon

Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:
> One more note on Revelation, with a couple points. (1) I am personally
> rather skeptical of any exhaustively elaborated interpretation of the
> book such that its imagery and poetry is reduced to philosophic prose (as
> it is said Bultmann's demythologization sought to reduce the gospel to
> the existentialist philosophy of Heidegger). Maybe this is a hard-headed,
> stiff-necked skeptical bent in me, but the book seems to me not to be so
> much a sequential representation of salvation history rushing to its
> climax so much as a view through a kaleidoscope at salvation history,
> such that, a turn of the cylinder (or, to shift the metaphor to that of
> Henry James, a turn of the screw) opens up a new vista wherein the same
> panorama of events of salvation history is set forth in altered images.
> To be sure, however, there is decisive movement to resolution at the end.

Yes, I partially agree. It is no sequential repr{sentation of salvation
history, but that doesn't mean that you shall not interpret it so that
there is litterary and theological coherence. That is _not_ to reduce it to
philosophic prose. Please, note that there _is_ a difference between the
gospel which really seeks to tell history in one or another form _and_
Revelation which is distinctly pictorial/symbolic.

> (2) Although I have said that I believe Babylon is indeed representative
> of Rome, I wouldn't fixate upon a single equation. It is Jerusalem as
> well, and it is Sodom, and it is Babylon itself. It seems to me that one
> recurrent image that is transformed in course is the CITY, the city as
> the focal gathering place of collective human self-worship and supreme
> idolatry, the city and civilization symbolized by the Tower of Babel from
> which Abraham fled toward a promised land, Jerusalem and Samaria, their
> promise and desecration, Rome as an ingathering symbol of human
> collective self-worship in the image of Caesar, but ultimately the city
> of salvation, the new Jerusalem, the City of God. I think there are other
> symbols that run throughout and undergo transformations also, the Woman,
> for instance. But I shall not extend this any further.

Just a pair of final notes: there is no transformation, perhaps if you
compare it to "Babylon" in the OT, but that is one of the interpretations
that I do question seriously. In Revelation Babylon falls, it doesn't
survive, and Jerusalem is coming down from heaven as something new. And
we can't do away with the fiery lake of burning sulphur. That would be a
reduction to philosophical prose ;-) But the city is certainly a very
important metaphor, which in its application can be said to include these
other metaphors you mention here. To me it is impossible to do away with
this search for coherent literary _meaning_ as the first step and to
identify the _reference_ as the second, or to put it in another way: to
find the rhetorical purpose.

- --
Georg S. Adamsen, Denmark