From: Georg Stubkjaer Adamsen <gsadamsn@login.dknet.dk>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 20:37:56 -0100
Subject: Re: On Roman emperors in Revelation

Greg Doudna <gdoudna@ednet1.osl.or.gov> wrote:

> For a variety of reasons I believe the old dating at the time
> of Galba is the correct one.  J. Christian Wilson, in his
> articles dismantling the Domitian dating, does not take a
> position on this issue (of whether Nero was fifth or sixth).
>
> The issue is not nearly as complicated as that chart makes it.
> All systems start from either Julius or Augustus.  Then it is
> a matter of counting forward to the sixth, and arriving at
> Nero or Galba.
>
> Then the other material in Revelation falls into place (well,
> a lot of it): the lust for vengeance on the city "Babylon"
> for its murder of the saints is derivative from the recent
> Neronian persecution of 64; the temple is still standing in
> Rev 11:1-2; the destruction of "Babylon" is the anticipated
> outcome of Vespasian's march on Rome to conquer his rivals;
> 666 is the number of the slain Nero believed to be alive and
> in hiding in Parthia to return; the anticipation that
> 144,000 Jews from the twelve tribes will defeat the whole
> known world reflects someone's optimistic imagination of the
> outcome of the Jewish Revolt; and Josephus's defection and
> prophetic hailing of Vespasian as future emperor and messiah
> is seen (slightly exaggerated) in 13:11-18.
>
> The Jewish Revolt was a time of signs and wonders, prophets
> and visions, as Josephus reports.  Here is the context for
> the production of Revelation, with its terrible visions,
> curses on Rome, natural disasters and calamities depicting
> a time of war, and call to holy war from the twelve tribes.
> This, to me, is what is clearly indicated from the internal
> evidence: the time of Galba, c. 68-69, and the assumption
> of real prophecy deriving from this time, fits.

I'm sorry to say, but to me this seems highly unlikely. Even if it
superficially was possible to make these connections between Revelation
and these more or less historical happenings, I can't really make any
sense of the text. It just doesn't help the interpretation of these
passages in Revelation seen in its context and literary structure.
_Maybe_ it might throw light on some of these individual passages and
what does that tell us? That John perhaps describes something partially
in terms known to his hearers. But to comment on the Josephus' hailing of
Vespasian in 13,11-18, to call that "slightly exaggerated" is an
understatement which is revealing. How do you even make it _possible_
(not to say probable) that all these things were known to both John and
his hearers/readers in Asia? The early Christians were Jewish Christians
or Christian Jews, but that does not mean that they shared all Jewish
assumptions and e.g. agreed with Josephus and (his report on) the Jewish
revolt. I'm ready to accept what we can reasonably say about history but
I'm not ready to take whatever we can more or less surely reconstruct of
history and apply it to Revelation without regard to the text as we have
it in Revelation, with its surface, literary structures and its (network
of metaphors) which can be analyzed to find what is the center and what
is not.

- --
Georg S. Adamsen, Denmark