From: Kenneth Litwak <kenneth@sybase.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 95 22:04:29 PDT
Subject: Acts 19:1

    Okay, now that I have tried in vain to answser this question through the
grammars I have, I'll ask the group for help please.  Acts 19:1
gegins with )Egeneto, which contains the implied subject:  it came to pass.
This is followed by an infinitive expressing time: en to einai, while
Apollos was....  Then comes Paulon and a 2 Aor. act part:  having gone through.
Now comes the problem.  katelthein and (eurein are both Aorist infinitives.
They have no article.  They are not followed by an accusative noun or pronoun to
serve as their subject(s).  They seem to be acting like finite verbs, but I
can't find anything to explain that usage.  Th nearest accusative noun is
part of a participial clause.  Are we to supply Paulon after these infinitives
to provide a subject to make these infinitives serve as finite verbs?  Can
someone point me to what I'm missing?  Naturally BDF does not list this
verse in the index and D&M use it to illustrate a completely different
grammatical point.  Thanks in advance.

Ken Litwak
Emeryville, CA

P.S>,

   One other thing on this verse please.  Is there any reason for choosing
the infinitive in preference to a finite verb?  Does that have some significance
for the meaning or is it simply a more literary way of wording this sentence?