From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 13:28:31 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Acts 19:3

I won't repeat the whole context, though some might wish I had done so. I
just want to make a couple points.

(1) With regard to word-order, I didn't mean to leave the impression that
I thought it was altogether fluid; it certainly is not. Postpositives
MUST come second in a sentence (which is why I once said "bah, humbug" to
an argument that Mark's gospel couldn't end at 16:8 because a Greek
sentence can't end with a GAR; when both subject and predicate are
present in EFOBOUNTO, there's no place else for the GAR to come but after
that. What I teach is that there are tendencies in word-order: we can say
that the "natural" order of a simple Greek sentence is
subject-object-verb--to which I add that this is the order you may
actually see 60% of the time--but rhetoric is hardly ever far removed
from Greek expression, and there's another rhetorical tendency for
emphatic elements to gravitate to the beginning or the end of the total
expression.

(2) Regarding the absolute construction: the grand old man who taught
Comparative Greek and Latin Grammar at Harvard when I was there ages ago
(real character: Joshua Whatmough) used to say that there really isn't
such a thing as an accusative absolute--that it is really a nominative
absolute. But, inasmuch as it is a neuter singular participle that is
used, and the nominative and accusative forms are identical, there is no
way to prove whether it is a nominative or an accusative absolute. So
much for dogmatism. I really have no grounds to disagree with Bruce Terry
on this suggested distinction between a nominative and an accusative
absolute. What do the linguists (I know BT is one of them)--the other
ones: Mari Olsen, Phil Graber, Micheal Parsons--have to say about this?

One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130, USA
(314) 935-4018