From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 12:03:40 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Acts 19:1

I won't cite all the preceding stuff.

I just want to say, David, that I did take a look at BDF acc. to your
reference this morning and was APPALLED at the lack of clarity in its
accounting for constructions with EGENETO--which in fact, are probably so
common in Biblical Greek because they mimic the Hebraic narrative
construction (if I can transliterate it), WAYYEHI' KI ..., and also at
its lack of clarity (as Micheal Palmer noted) in dealing with accusative
and especially accusative + infinitive constructions.

Let me just note one other matter; I was surprised yesterday at
objections to my referring to accusative subjects of the infinitive. I
gather this is terminology not so common in Koine' usage? On the other
hand, it's stock in trade in classical Greek and Latin to speak of
accusative subjects of infinitives. I'm sorry if I sounded offensive
yesterday.

One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130, USA
(314) 935-4018