From: Timster132@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 01:44:09 -0400
Subject: Re: Purity/Impurity

TO: B-GREEK@VIRGINIA.EDU
CC: jbjones@promus.com
From: Timster132@aol.com (Tim Staker)

    The greek word in Gal 5:19 is AKATHARSIA, impurity, uncleanliness.
  KATHAROS means pure, clean. KATHAROTHS mean purity.

     In ealry "primitive religion", the need to be cleansed occurs after an
experience with mysterious power, especially after birth, sex, death, etc.  A
period of separation is needed to prepare one for a return to day to day life
after an encounter with the supernatural, whether it be deities or demons.
     This may explain a later tradition in rabbincal Judaism where touching
the  Scriptures would make one unclean.

     In the LXX, AKATHARSIA is usually used in the sense of cultic/ritual
uncleanliness.  The holiness of God is central, and the holiness codes of
Lev. are based upon this reverence/respect towrds God's holiness.
     Uncleanliness was understood as something that sticks to a person like a
physical disease, like an infection or rash, and can be passed to others.
 Uncleanliness was also literally associated with physical illness, so
hygiene is a part of the codes.
     The OT Prophets recognized moral purity to be a part of God's holiness,
and they emphasized this aspect.
    Wisdom lit also dealt with moral purity: Prov 6:16; 24:9; Wis 2:16.
     In rabbinical Judaism, inward cleanliness was critical, and this is
reflected in codes of personal conduct form watching one's words to doing
justice.  If one kept inner purity, God promised his enduring presence.
      Philo spiritualized cultic purity.  He was concerned with moral
impurity (Leg All 2:29)

     The NT almost completely emphasizes moral purity.  See Peter's vision in
Acts 10 as to the lifting of the Kosher laws.
     In Rev 20:27, cultic purity of the New Jerusalem is symbolic.
     Moral purity is a major theme in Hebrews, James, John, 1 & 2 Timothy,
Titus and John.  In John, the disciples are made clean by Jesus' presence
(15:3) and his word (17:14).  In Hebrews, it is Christ's death that cleanses
the conscience (Heb 9).
    Cultic cleanliness is insufficient acc. to Jesus in the Gospels (Mt 23:25-
26; Lk 11:41).
    In Mt 8:3,4, Jesus cleanses the leper and has him go to the priests to
verify that he is physically, and thus ritually clean.
    In Gal 5, uncleanliness is a work of the flesh [SARX].  This is not so
much of a breaking of holiness codes as it is doing works that are contrary
to the Spirit and its fruit.
    There is a reocurring connection with PORNEIA: 2 Cor 12:21; Gal 5:19; Col
3:5; Eph 5:3; Rev 17:4. PORNEIA is a general word for a number of sexual
sins.  But PORNEIA is also equated with idolatry and apostasy (ie, spiritual
adultery: Hosea 6:10; Jer 3:2,9; Rev 19:2).
     Mark calls spirits unclean, equating uncleanliness with the power and
intentions of Evil.
     AKATHARSIA is the opposite of HAGIASMOS in 1 Thess 4:7; Rom 6:19.

   How's that for a start?

    Peace,
    Tim