[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #685

b-greek-digest             Friday, 28 April 1995       Volume 01 : Number 685

In this issue:

        Re: EXAD
        RE: Mat 5:22
        Re: Mat 5:22
        Re: Comfort's "The quest for the original text"
        Re: Baptism for the dead
        I Corinthians 5:8 / Erasmus
        Teaching Greek
        baptism for the dead
        UBS4 and NA 27
        LXX, NT and Apostolic Fa. Word lists
        UBS4, NA27, etc. (Rex Koivisto)
        Baptized (UPER the dead
        Electronic form of Majority Text
        Re: Electronic form of Majority Text
        Re: Electronic form of Majority Text
        Word lists
        Re: Electronic form of Majority Text
        Word Lists LXX
        Re: Electronic form of Majority Text
        Re: eis with accusative
        1 Cor. 7:36

From: "The Rev. David R. Graham" <merovin@halcyon.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 95 23:08:26 PDT
Subject: Re: EXAD

Folks,

Nice topic.  Philosophical unity and numerical unity are the same thing in
both Neo-Platonic and Cabalistic work.  See also Tillich to the effect that
the entire Patristic Trinitarian discussion was merely the discussion of the
relationship between the numbers one and three.

The unitary wording of the Shema is parallel to Jesus' "I and my Father are
One."  There too, both philosophical and numeric sense is meant because they
are identical, both in the existential experience He is there indicating and
in the Pythagorean/Stoical/Neo-Platonic redaction tradition which has
preserved that statement -- which He did in fact make -- in its aspect of
the canon.

Exegetes and theologians/philosophers need to work together all the time.  A
lot of NT inquiry here is lacking in knowledge of the philosophical
background of the texts and on the philosophy lists there is lots of
ignorance of the exegetical and hermaneutical imperative.  Specialization
for career hooks is really detrimental to the church.

Anyhow, number and philosophy are one.  Remember the Pythagorean dictum:
All is Number.  The Fathers were keenly aware of this background to all
their discussions and so were the LXX.
- -------------------------------------
The Rev. David R. Graham
Adwaitha Hermitage
Professor of Philosophy
Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning
EADEM MUTATA RESURGO

E-mail: merovin@halcyon.com
Date: 04/06/95
Time: 13:41:10