From: GGoolde@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 01:58:18 -0400
Subject: Re: The Lame Man in John

William Brooks,

Thanks for your good observations, brother.  I have only a few small ideas to
add.

1.  V14 doesn't say that his condition was becasuse of his specific, personal
sin.  It merely warns him to stop sinning or a worse thing may come upon him.
 Since all have sinned we don't really know if he was a worse sinner - i.e.
scoundrel - than most.

2.  The passage doesn't treat the question of why he was in this condition,
in constrast to the blind man Jesus healed in John 9.  In that case the
question is asked and answered by the Lord (vv2-3), but we cannot assume that
to always be the case.

3.  Since the Scripture doesn't say why the lame man was in that condition, I
believe that is not the point God is making.  To truly exegete the text is to
lead the truth out of the text, that is, to discover the truth God put there.

4.  It also doesn't say WHY Jesus healed him!  But we do learn that the
unbelieving Jews reacted to His healing on the Sabbath v14.  Perhaps the most
important truth in the passage is that Jesus made Himself equal with the
Father (v18).

5.  In summary:  Might we be in danger when we preach or teach on what the
Scripture does not clearly say?  Would we do better to focus on what is
declared in the text by God Himself?  Could it be that the most accurate
answer to your good question is:  "The Bible doesn't say."?

George Goolde
Dean, Graduate Studies, San Diego Bible Seminary