From: WINBROW@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 17:42:34 -0400
Subject: Gal. 1:8-9

Shaughn Daniel wrote:

"Basically, I need to know if Gal. 1.8f fits a category of an imperative of
condition (Brooks & Winbery term, p. 117); thus, rendered as:

        But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach
        to you a gospel other than what we preached to you,
        then he is accursed.

 As we have said, and now I repeat, if anyone preaches (is preaching) to you
a gospel other than what you accepted, then he is accursed."

The Winbery half of Brooks and Winbery would not classify the imperatives in
these verses as imperatives of condition.  They are the verbs of the main
clauses that are modified by a EAN plus subjunctive clause in verse 8 and EI
plus indicative clause in verse 9.  An imperative of condition would express
the condition which if met would cause the main clause to be true.  I would
see these imperatives as positive demand.  Such a person as Paul is talking
about must be considered ANATHEMA.  Also read the note on p. 129 concerning
third person imperatives.  EAN plus subjunctive clause in verse 8 probably is
used because Paul is giving a hypothetical case.  EI plus indicative clause
in verse 9 is used probably because Paul knows that someone in their midst is
proclaiming "contrary to that which you received."

Carlton Winbery
Prof. & Chair Religion Dept.
Louisiana College