From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 16:44:38 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: PROTON, PROTOS or PROI

I'm not a textual critic, but given your choices I'd go with PROTON,
preferably as an adverb, primarily on the basis of its position. PROTOS
does not seem to me to be a very logical proposition (isn't it already
implied without PROTOS that Andrew takes the initiative in this
finding?); despite what you say about PRWI and time relationships in John
1-2, it seems to me that where the time of an event is emphasized,the
time is placed first or last in the sentence/clause. On the other hand,
PROTON meaning, "the very first thing he does is find ..." would seem to
underscore the importance that Andrew places upon his own discovery of
the Messiah.

A secondary question that has always puzzled me is: how do those who hold
to an inerrancy position reconcile this account of Jesus' first encounter
with Peter and Andrew with the account in the Synoptics? If I had to put
down money on which has a better claim to historicity, I'd put it on
John's account (the Synoptic account appears to me on the very surface to
be a story constructed to provide a setting for the saying, "I will make
you fishers of men.").

One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130, USA
(314) 935-4018