From: "Edgar M. Krentz" <emkrentz@mcs.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 16:57:23 -0600
Subject: Re: Son of Man in NRSV NT

>Tim Mclay wondered whether the NRSV avoided the title
>"Son of Man" in the NT as it does in Daniel 7:13.
>The NRSV translates with "Son of Man" consistently
>throughout the four gospels when Jesus uses the title
>of himself.  In addition, the NRSV goes with "Son of
>Man" even at Revelation 14:14, where some find a
>Danielic allusion.  It's amazing, then, that the
>NRSV goes with "human being" at Daniel 7:13.--Paul Moser,
>Loyola University of Chicago.

I wonder if it really is so amazing. The translators interpreted the phrase
to make it clear that the words in Dan 7:14 are not titular, as they appear
to be in the gospels. They do put the literal Aramaic in a note--without
capitalization. The title in the gospels is capitalized. I also noticed
that the NAB translates "a son of man"--without capitalization.

Having said that, I would still prefer to have the note and the text
reversed. I support what Carl Conrad said in his response.

For purposes of textual study the more literalistic translation would be
preferable. I suspect that the text as given in the NRSV is better for
liturgical reading, where the main purpose is to convey the sense--an
opinion sure to garner a good bit of response, I'm sure. :-)

An interesting comparison: Mark 2:12 and Matt 9:8. In Mark 2:12 the crowds
express amazement in the words "We have never seen anything like this!" In
Matt 9:8 they "glorified God who had given such authority to human beings
(ANTHROPOIS)." Is that a Matthaean interpretation of "Son of Man" in 9:6?

Edgar Krentz <emkrentz@mcs.com>
New Testament, Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th St., Chicago, IL 60615
(Voice) Home: 312/947-8105; Off.: 312-753-0752