[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #703

b-greek-digest             Wednesday, 10 May 1995       Volume 01 : Number 703

In this issue:

        Secret Mark, Neusner, etc.
        Re: Inclusive Language
        Re: more inclusivity
        HISTORIA
        Re: The English Second Person Plural
        Re: Son of Man in NRSV NT
        Re: HISTORIA
        Re: Son of Man in NRSV NT
        Son of Man, Yet Again
        WID
        Re: Son of Man, Yet Again
        Secret Mar, Smith, etc.
        Re: Greek font on internet
        NRSV and ADELFOI
        Re: WID
        Re: HISTORIA
        Re: Secret Mar, Smith, etc.
        Re: WID [Suggested convention]
        Bruce Terry's "Married only once"
        Re: Bruce Terry's "Married only once"
        Transliteration
        Re: Transliteration
        Re: WID [Suggested convention]
        RE: WID

From: Greg Doudna <gdoudna@ednet1.osl.or.gov>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 02:10:56 -0700
Subject: Secret Mark, Neusner, etc.

Paul Moser wrote:
> . . . Neusner announces that Smith's proposed evidence for the
> so-called Secret Gospel of Mark "must now be declared the
> forgery of the century" (p. 28).  Neusner suggests that Smith
> himself forged the Clement of Alexandria fragment that
> allegedly surfaced in a library in Sinai in 1958, giving
> evidence of the Secret Gospel.  As one might have expected,
> Helmut Koester and J.D. Crossan regard canonical Mark as
> postdating Secret Mark . . .

I had not heard of Neusner's claim or this particular work of
Neusner's (_Are There Really Tannaitic Parallels to the Gospels?_)
but I have studied this issue of Secret Mark and had become
convinced that Morton Smith perpetrated a fraud, also.

Not a single reference to or reaction against this alleged
Clement letter is known in history; and the book in which
Morton Smith found the letter at the Mar Saba monastery was
not listed in any previous catalogue of that monastery.  Morton
Smith made no effort whatever toward conservation of the
manuscript, nor has the document apparently been seen or brought
to light for testing and analysis by anyone else.  (I do not
doubt that a genuine 17th century book with a letter in the
back exists; but there is no evidence beyond M Smith's word
that he found it in the monastery.)  The shocking contents of
the letter sound suspiciously like theories Morton Smith was
working on; and there is much more.  I am unfamiliar with
Neusner's analysis, but in my own reading of Smith's account
of the discovery I have noted strange ways Smith puts things.
For example, he dedicated his book on the Secret Gospel,
cryptically, "To the one who knows"; and never disclosed
who this person was or what this person knew.

For articulation of suspicions of forgery before now Quentin
Quesnell in _Catholic Biblical Quarterly_ 37 (1975): 48-67 is
a classic, and see also M. Smith's reply and Quesnell's reply
to Smith's reply in the next issue, CBQ 38.  There is a good
discussion of the forgery question in _Longer Mark: Forgery,
Interpolation, or Old Tradition?- ed. R. Fuller (Berkeley:
Center for Hermeneutical Studies, 1976).  This list's very
own Edward Hobbs was at the Colloquium reported in this last
citation, where Smith was also present at the discussion of
whether his discovery was a forgery; perhaps Dr. Hobbs can
offer some illuminating firsthand anecdotal information of
that occasion!

Greg Doudna
West Linn, Oregon

- --