From: Robert Kraft <kraft@ccat.sas.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 01:58:47 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Morton Smith

I haven't had time to weigh in on this subject yet, but for the moment
let me express thanks to Todd for his thoughtful contributions, and also
say, with some pride, that I counted Morton Smith among my friends and
that I do not believe that he fabricated the "Secret Mark" letter. That
he had his faults I do not hesitate to admit. That he could be
cantankerous, intimidating, confrontational, insulting, and many of the
other things suggested in the earlier postings is a given, although I
never personally was the victim of his wrath or distain. But in my
experience, which covered many years, words such as "deranged" and the
like simply do not apply. And Morton could also, at times, be very
supportive, humorous, congenial, etc. (I can't say "warm").

Why did some people respect him, and his scholarship? Because in many
areas of the study of antiquity, he knew more than we all did, and he
could put things together in interesting, if not always convincing ways.
There is no question that the "Jesus-magician" thing was stretched and
strained beyond reasonable probability -- partly by definition (often
"prophet" can be substituted for his "magician" with good results!), but
the footnotes are full of riches, to be used with discretion, to be
sure, but that is what scholarship is all about! We can all do much
worse than reading Morton Smith's publications, of which the
Jesus-magician stuff is but a very small part. I regret that he is not
still with us. Fortunately, his publications remain for us.

Bob Kraft, UPenn