From: Edward Hobbs <EHOBBS@wellesley.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 15:46:36 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Smith, Secret Mark, Ad Hominem, and Koester

Secret Mark, Smith, Ad Hominem, & Koester

     First, may I thank most warmly those of you who have
responded to unwarranted innuendoes about my report on the Secret
Mark controversy.  I did not write that material of my own
choice; I was asked by more than a half-dozen of you to do so.
Nothing in it was fabricated, and nothing in it suggested that
because Smith behaved outrageously when crossed, his scholarship
was to be disregarded.  A student from Canada has exhorted us to
avoid ad hominem attacks, implying that I had engaged in them.
It was precisely for that reason I had reported Smith's repeated
use of the ad hominem attack; but I did not use it myself.  May I
point out that;
     (1) I personally spent most of two months of 1975 in
organizing, conducting, and editing/publishing a careful analysis
of Smith's "Secret Mark" work.  I also pointed out that I had
carefully refrained from expressing my private belief that the
supposed MS. was a recent forgery (i.e., within the last 1800
years).  Surely this counts as "judging his views on the basis of
his written legacy."
     (2) "Jesus the Magician" was the recipient of more than 40
hours of my time, in 1976, resulting in more than 50 pages of
criticism delivered to Smith by me, along with a 45-minute oral
summary at the beginning of a day-long discussion of his MS.  The
published volume altered almost every one of the passages I
criticized; had I not devoted that extended time to working
through his original MS., the published volume would have been
far more roundly criticized by its reviewers.  This was not an ad
hominem attack.

     That I reported to you some of what was asked for -- namely,
the living-person relationship I had with Smith -- was offered
not to attack his views, but to report what almost everyone knew
about him who disagreed with him.
     Bob Kraft has rightly -- and generously -- pointed out the
supportive, humorous, and congenial way he (at times) treated his
friends.  He also acknowledged his cantankerous, intimidating,
confrontational ways on other occasions.
     I happen to admire Bob Kraft for his loyalty toward his
friends, even when dead; I count this a great quality in a
person.  As I pointed out, sometimes Smith did not share this
quality (re: Parker and Neusner, for example).  And I want to
state emphatically that Helmut Koester also possesses this
quality, even at great cost to himself (as in the Bob Funk
affair).  Hence Helmut has loyally defended Smith through the
years, and gave him a forum at Harvard when he otherwise would
have been dismissed out of hand.  Helmut is an honest scholar,
and a great scholar.  He and I disagree about many matters of
N.T. scholarship, but he has never dismissed me or my work as a
consequence.  He was my department chairman at the time of my
second major broadside against the Q-hypothesis (at SBL in
Chicago, six years after my first), and even then he only
declined to speak to me for two days!  Then all was well again.
I cannot want for a better friend and colleague.

     May I suggest that when we evaluate the written legacy of a
scholar, we also take the trouble to read the written legacy of
those who have faulted that scholar's legacy.  Apparently Smith
has supporters of his views who have not bothered to read the
reviews and follow-up work.  (And among these I do NOT count
either Bob Kraft or Helmut Koester.)

Edward Hobbs
(Wellesley now)