From: Timster132@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 02:52:22 -0400
Subject: Re: Colwell rule

TO: B-GREEK@VIRGINIA.EDU
cc: jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu

Greg Jordon [jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu]
on 5/21/95 noted...

>Grammatically, "a god" is indefinite, not definite.
>Also, how does one distinguish between the substantive
>use of an anarthrous noun & the "qualitative" use of one?
> Some non-controversial examples would be helpful -
>I used to have a list of them but I can't find it.  As I
>remember, many "qualitative" nouns could just as
>easily be read as figurative uses of nouns in their
>substantive sense.

Mr. Moffatt translated John 1:1 here with the qualitative
sense:  "and the Word was divine."

Tim Staker
Timster132@aol.com

------------------------------

From: Timster132@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 02:50:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Manuscript photographs

TO: B-GREEK@VIRGINIA.EDU
CC: hurtado@cc.umanitoba.ca

   If you are looking for a photograph/facsimile/photocopy
of a certain passage from a certain papyri or mss, you
can often write to the library where the manuscript is
located to obtain it.

   In the NA27, the first codex gives a numerical listing
of papyri, unicials, etc and the Bibliotheca (library) where
the mss is located.  I have had good luck with most of
the libraries in the US.  Some have even sent real
photographs at no charge (though most charge at
least $30 for photographs).

For you manuscript hunters, here are a few NT papyri in
America and their addresses:

P9, P10, 071
Houghton Library/Semetic Library
Harvard University
6 Divinity Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138

P12, P59, P60, P61, 076
The Pierpont Morgan Library
29 E 36th St
New York, NY 10016

P20, P54
Princeton University Library
One Washington Rd
Princeton, NJ 08544

P23
World Heritge Museum
University of IL at Urbana-Champaign
Urbana IL 61801

P24
Franklin Trask Library
Andover Newton Theological School
169 Herrick Rd
Newton Centre, MA 02159

P26
The Bridwell Library
Southern Methodist University
Perkins School of Theology
Dallas, TX 75275

P28
Bade Institute of Biblical Archaeology
Pacific School of Religion
1798 Scenic Ave
Berkeley, CA 94709

P49, P50
The Beinecke Rare Book & Mss Library
Box 1603A Yale Station
New Haven, CT 06520

069
The Oriental Institute Museum
1155 E 58th St
Chicago, IL 60637

0206
United Theological Seminary
1810 Ohio Ave
Dayton, OH 45406

  I also was able to obtain photographs of P21, P26, P28
and P39 from the--
  American Center of the International
    Photographic Archive of Papyri
  4072 Foreign Languages Building
  University of IL at Urbana-Champaign
  Urbana, IL 61801

  Enjoy.  BTW, if you are fortunate to live near one of
these locations, you can usually call the library ahead
of time to arrange a viewing of the mss.  I have found the
Univeristy of Michigan library at Ann Arbor, MI
to be very accessible in regards to
the Chester Beatty papyri.

Peace,

Tim Staker