From: Robert Kraft <kraft@ccat.sas.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 23:56:03 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Paul on Messiah as Seed

Galatians 3.16 --
Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring; it does not
say, "And to offsprings," as of many; but it says, "And to your
offspring," that is, to one person, who is Christ." (NRSV)

One does well to read this passage (and every passage) in its wider
context, which includes 3:29 --

But if you [plural] are Messiah's, then you [plural] are Abraham's seed
[singular], heirs in accord with the promise.

The wider context also includes Paul's peculiar ideas about the
corporate nature of "Messiah/Christ" ("body of Messiah/Christ," etc.).

The NRSV translation, in trying to communicate in clearer English,
probably obscures the somewhat "alien" Pauline ideas in 3.16, which
seems to me to be saying "...it/he does not say 'and to your many seed,'
with a focus on multiplicity, but as focusing on unity, 'and to your
singular seed,' which/who is Messiah/Christ." The subsequent argument
also picks up on the unity/multiplicity theme in describing the arrival
of "Law" through angels and mediation, which does not lend itself to
unity, althought God is "one" (3.19-20). Then again, in 3.28-29,
distinctions and oppositions and pluralities are transformed into
"one/unity in Messiah Jesus." That is how Messiah AND his unified body
can ALL be the ONE seed of the Abrahamic promise in Paul's
transformational last days of the "present age."

The point is, do look at the context(s)!

Bob Kraft, UPenn