From: Jeff Kloha <kloha@sauron.multiverse.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 95 06:34:32 EDT
Subject: Re: God's Word - Acts 7:55

I hesitate to jump in here because this is not really a discussion of
Greek, but I've been using the "God's Word" translation devotionally
for about a month. I find it very readable; it is possible to read one
of the Gospels in one sitting--try doing that with the KJV or NIV!
That was the intent of the "translators": Not necessarily "dynamic
equivalence," but a clear, non-technical piece of literature. I do not
use it for preaching or Bible study because it "interprets" the Greek,
and that is what I get paid the big bucks for. I do not agree with
every interpretation I have come across (everyone has their pet ways
of translating their favorite texts), but it serves well the purpose
for which it is intended.

Compare the GW rendering of Eph. 1:7-9, to select a random sample,
with another version:

"Through the blood of his Son, we are set free from our sins. God
forgives our failures because of his overflowing kindness. He poured
out his kindness by giving us every kind of wisdom and insight when he
revealed the mystery of His plan to us. He had decided to do this
through Christ."

I don't wish to spark debate over this text, just wanted to give a
sample. Basically, pretty much any translation has its place. We will
never have the "perfect" English translation of the NT. Unless, of
course, the B-Greek list has a chance to write one! :-)

Jeff Kloha [] Lakewood, OH
kloha@po.multiverse.com [] KCICXC