From: "L. Brown" <budman@sedona.net>
Date: Sat, 27 May 1995 15:31:54 700
Subject: Re: "God's Word" - Acts 7:55

> > Date:          Sat, 27 May 1995 13:59:03 -0700
> > From:          David Moore <dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com>
> > Subject:       Re: "God's Word" - Acts 7:55
> > To:            Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
> > Cc:            b-greek@virginia.edu

- ---[snip]---

>     There is a section on dynamic equivalent translation in _How to
> Read the Bible For All Its Worth_ by Fee and Stuart.  It reads in part:

- ---[snip]---

Robert L. Thomas has an unpublished monograph, "An Introductory Guide
for Choosing English Bible Translations" (1988) in which he defines
dynamic equivalence thus:

"The dynamic equivalence approach is concerned primarily with
readabiliyt. It seeks to convey the thought of the original languages
to the reader with no attempt to obtain a word-for-word
correspondence between the original and the translation. It is geared
rather to obtaining a correspondence of ideas between the two
languages. The important consideration here is to produce an effect
on the reader in the receptor language, equivalent to what was
produced on the original recipients of the message in the source
language.

"A formal equivalence translation is concerned primarily with
accuracy or faithfulness to the original text. In both form and
content it focuses attention on the message being translated.

Hope that helps!
L. E. Brown                         budman@sedona.net
West Sedona Baptist Church
Sedona, Arizona  520-282-7478