From: "Larry W. Hurtado" <hurtado@cc.umanitoba.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 16:31:46 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Mark 16:8

As to whether 16:8 = the original ending of Mark, it is probably
impossible to offer a clinching case one way or the other.  But I've come
to think (for a variety of reasons) that 16:8 may in fact be the original
ending.  For one thing, as Phil Davis has pointed out (and as I support
in a newly-finished paper on "Discipleship in Mark"), the "shape" of
Mark's narrative seems to have been designed the make the story of Jesus
reflect the "story" of the Christian life:  beginning with baptism, into
mission, opposition, martyrdom, and vindication-by-resurrection.  We know
that resurrection appearance-accounts functioned to legimate those to
whom the appearance happened as authoritative witnesses/figures (e.g., 1
Cor 9:1; 15:1-7).  By announcing that Jesus is raised, but not giving any
appearance account, what Mark gives us is the resurrected Jesus himself,
with no interest in posing particular Christian leaders as the role
model, but Jesus himself.

Larry Hurtado, Religion, Univ. of Manitoba