From: "David B. Gowler" <DGOWLER@micah.chowan.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 15:51:36 EST
Subject: Re: Mark and Midrash

Ken Litwak wrote, in part:

> First, I would ask how one distingushes between a text about Jesus whose
> author wanted to convey historical information AND show ways in which he/she
> felt Jesus' life fulfilled OT predictions and one which uses OT material to
> invent a story that may or not have historical elements in it?

> [Tim Straker] seems determined NOT
> NOT to allow for the alternative that allows the Gospels to contain
> theologically shaded historical narrative with OT citations because
> their authors felt Jesus was the Messiah and read the OT in that light.
> I don't see a basis for this.  Furthermore, I think Tim's position is
> inconsistent.  On the one hand, he wants to say that the literal view,
> that the authors actually want to record a real event, s inappropriate,
> but still seems to want to claim that some of the events, perhaps the
> crucifixion, really happened in some sense.  That seems like a pretty
> blatant example of wanting to have you cake and eat it too.

Ken,  you and I have corresponded extensively, and it seems to
me that your objections always boil down to the same hyperbolic
either/or fallacy.  I disagree with Tim's extensive claims about
"narrative midrash," but your objections do not get to the major
issues, imo.

It is indeed ironic that the same (incorrect, imo) either/or
fallacy that you raise against Tim's position could be applied
(erroneously, I argue) to your own "theologically shaded
historical narrative" (i.e., how can it be both theologically
shaded and historical narrative?).

You and Tim are actually making similar arguments with similar
positions, but from varied points on the same spectrum (his
"midrash" is your "theological shading").  The only difference is
the variation in elaboration that you see in the NT
(i.e., modern terms, the precise "historicity").

Tim's major point, it seems to me, is that the Gospels seem to be
doing more than just "theologically shading" OT passages.  The
author of Hosea 11:1, for example, would agree with that, I think!
(cf. Mt 2:15).  The examples are myriad, and I have listed many
of them for you before in previous postings.

In theoretical terms, this is an example of discourse with an
orientation toward another's discourse (or "double-voiced
discourse").  The other discourse exerts influence over the
"initial discourse" (from "without"), and there are diverse forms
of interrelationship, as well as various degrees of "deforming
influence" (in the words of Bakhtin).  In rhetorical terms, this
could range from "scribal copying" to such items as "expansion"
or "elaboration."  Even scribal copying, however, since it places
the "same" words in a new context, is a reinterpretation of the
"initial discourse" (thus it is actually not the "same" words).

I would recommend M. Bakhtin's *The Dialogic Imagination* and
chapter 4 of his *Problems of Dostoevsky's Poetics* to clarify
the theoretical issues further.  Then I would also recommend
reading the ancient progymnasmata to see how these elaborations
(etc.) were taught to those learning how to compose in Greek in
the ancient world.

Best wishes, David

David B. Gowler
Associate Professor of Religion