From: LISATIA@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 02:13:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Phil. 2 Again

dear prof. Conrad,
     thanks for bringing up phil.2, and the difficulties of translating this
passage.  some 15 years ago, Hans-Martin Schenke, in "Von Weisheit zur
Gnosis", an article, concluded that Paul himself wrote this poetic
exhortation in a semi-Docetic mode, the genre being wisdom paranesis.
 Schenke gave a gnostic wisdom passage from "The teaching of Silvanus" (Nag
Hammadi  7.4.107) as illustrative
of the mode:
    "For since he (Christ) is Wisdom, he makes the foolish man wise.  She
(wisdom) is a holy kingdom and a shining robe. For she is as much gold and
gives you great honor.  The Wisdom of God became a type of fool for you, so
that she might raise you up, o foolish one, and make you wise.  And the Life
died for you when he was powerless, so that through his death he might give
life to you who have died."
  Schenke argued that wisdom dialectic is the proper background for the Phil.
passage, and the kerygma can be seen within this matrix.
  With regard to "harpagmos" - this word is used with a negative, and so it
is logical enough to say that Christ did not want to treat being equal with
God as dirty plunder but . . .  With regard to "morphe" - the writer sees one
form, or essence, exchanged for another, typical Greek conceptualization.
 trans.:  "he didn't think being equal to God as dirty plunder (he wasn't
that kind of person), but emptied himself (of form) and took on the form of a
slave . . .".  Do thou go and do likewise.
                                                  lisatia@aol.com (richard
arthur)