From: "Dr. James Edwards" <edwards@acc.jc.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 16:40:09 -35900
Subject: Panthera

Hello Stephen:
	Regarding Origen's report that Jesus was born as the result of a
secret affair between Mary and a Roman soldier named Panthera (_Contra
Celsum_ 1:28, 32), you may be interested in consulting the article on
"Jesus" in _Encyclopaedia Judaica_ (1971) 10.14-17.  It seems to have
been part of Jewish polemic in the Talmud and among Amoraim of the third
and fourth centuries to discredit the doctrine of the virgin birth.  R.
T. Herford's _Christianity in Talmud and Midrash_ (London: Williams and
Norgate, 1903) 112-115 discusses the whole issue of Jesus' profile in the
Talmud, including this point.
	By the way, as a sorry testimony to the fact that malicious slurs
do not easily die, there was a theological think tank at Leipzig during
the 1930s headed up by a prestigious Neutestamentler, Walter
Grundmann, who dusted off this report in an attempt to argue that if
Jesus' father was a Roman soldier that made him an Aryan, thus
extricating him from his Jewish heritage!

James R. Edwards
Professor of Religion
Jamestown College
Jamestown, N.D. 58405