From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 07:03:34 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: MORFH, EIKWN, LOGOS, THEOLOGY & ANTHROPOLOGY

Our discussion of the Christ-Hymn in Philippians 2, it appears to me, has
brought to light several of the problematic aspects of this text while at
the same time revealing some of the range of theological perspective--from
conservative/evangelical to liberal (or perhaps this should be phrased,
from a "Christology-from-above" perspective to one of "Christology from
below." Inspired, encouraged, or perhaps "aided and abetted" by off-list
messages from William Brooks and Lynn Cooley in response to my question
about how the Genesis 1:26 phrase, "image of God" is understood, I have
been pondering some issues that transcend the nuances of NT Greek
phraseology although they remain deeply rooted in those nuances. If they
did not relate closely to the Greek phraseology I would hesitate to put
them up for discussion here, as they are fundamentally theological, but
theology is perhaps the end for which most of us engage in this discussion
of the Greek of the NT, wherefore I do proceed.

(1) MORFH & EIKWN: Larry Hurtado has stated that the word MORFH, which
others and I have wanted to associated with the Genesis 1:26 assertion that
humanity was created in "the image of God," is never used by Paul in that
sense or generally in the NT. He says that the LXX uses EIKWN to translate
the phrase in Genesis 1:26, and that, although we should not understand
MORFH in Phil 2 in an Aristotelian but rather in a much more flexible
sense, it must, in the phrase MORFH QEOU, refer somehow to God's status. I
hope I have not misrepresented what Larry said.

Now it seems to me of some importance for the interpretation of this
passage whether we view the Christ-Hymn to be in fact a Pauline composition
or a citation from a liturgical composition of some unknown writer. If it
IS the latter, then we cannot refer to Pauline vocabulary for the usage of
MORFH in the hymn, and there exists a possibility that the unknown author
may, in fact, have understood MORFH in the Genesis 1:26 sense of God's
image. I think, however, that this is far too speculative to entertain very
seriously. So long as it is not insisted that MORFH QEOU has ontological
reference to God's "essential quality," I shall not find a fundamental
problem in the usage of MORFH in both phrases, MORFH QEOU and MORFHN
DOULOU.

(2) I would like to extend the discussion to theological implications of
the word EIKWN QEOU, particularly as it appears in Colossians 1:15. Here
the phrase is developed in association with Christ as the "first-born of
cretion, in whom all things have been created." Nevertheless, inasmuch as
the verse says that Christ is the EIKWN of God who is invisible, it is
surely implied that Christ somehow reveals to us something about God whom
we cannot see. So I ask: what, precisely, is it about God whom we cannot
see that is revealed in Christ?

We are no longer talking about Paul, but rather about the NT as a whole.

Is there any POSITIVE CONTENT to the phrase EIKWN QEOU? Or is it "simply"
;=) a term used to establish the concept of incarnation? Surely it is AT
LEAST that: we are to SEE in the historical Jesus what we may ever be able
to UNDERSTAND about the nature of God? Correct me, please, if I err here:
is that a valid reading?

If it is, then this is also a primary assertion of the prologue of John's
gospel, especially of 1:18: QEON OUDEIS hEWRAKEN PWPOTE; MONOGENHS QEOS hO
WN EIS TON KOLPON TOU PATROS EKEINOS EXHGHSATO. The LOGOS is the instrument
of God's communication/revelation to humanity. As EIKWN QEOU and LOGOS QEOU
Christ is what we can SEE of God, is what God is SAYING to us.

(3) Well, then, what is the image of God revealed in the humanity of Jesus?
I return to the question that I raised earlier in the course of my posing
of the problems of the Christ-Hymn. I have had two nice summary discussions
of the meaning of "image of God" in creation from William Brooks and Lynn
Corey; I shall not reproduce them here, but summarize very briefly.

(a) Most suggestions are really theological and have little linkage to
anything in the text of Genesis 1:26. Patristic and much traditional
Christian speculation concentrates on the spiritual and/or intellectual
aspect of human nature, perhaps largely in association with Stoic-Platonic
syncretistic Hellenistic anthropology. Modern theological interpretation
ranges from the naturalistic (walking upright) to the intriguing suggestion
of Ron McHattie (acc. to Lynn Cooley): the finished state in which God sees
us, and toward which he is shaping us." On the other hand, if one seriously
endeavors to discern the "Mosaic" intention underlying the text of Gen
1:26, as William Brooks' summary indicates, we ought to consider ancient
Near Eastern parallels and the immediate context. What comes closest in the
Genesis text is the notion of "rule:" humanity is to exercise (responsible)
rule over the created world that is comparable to God's rule over all.

(b) We would very much like to be confident of the intent underlying the
assertion in Genesis 1:26, but what really concerns us most, I think, is
whether there is/are one or more distinctive NT conceptions of the "image
of God" as bears upon our understanding of what it means to be human as God
intended humanity to be. Where in the NT do we go for answers to this
question? Everywhere, perhaps, but we certainly learn a lot from the
Christ-Hymn, which, I would still maintain, has more to do with ethics than
with Christology, and also from John's gospel, which, more than any other,
endeavors to elucidate WHAT IT IS that is communicated to us in Christ. Of
course, it is also true that all the gospels do this. At any rate, I throw
out once more, but specifically in NT terms, the question, what is the
"image of God" that elucidates the created nature of humanity as God
intended humanity to be?

I realize that this is a heavily-loaded theological question, and as such,
perhaps inappropriate for B-Greek. I would hope that, if we DO discuss
this, we can keep the focus as closely as possible on the Greek text of the
NT and what hints we can find in that toward answers.

Does this seem worth pursuing?

(314) 935-4018