From: Larry Swain <lswain@wln.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 23:35:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Irenaeus on Valentinians

On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, David B. Gowler wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, Larry Swain wrote:
> > David has a good point about taking into account ideology when discussing
> > points various writers make, including and esp. Irenaeus.
>
> The first point is the *very same one* I made in my first posting, so yes,
> I agree on the first point.  The ideological component is one aspect among
> many to be considered.

David, this is what I meant in an earlier post defending Dr Terry: could
you please READ what people write before responding.  If you will please
note my comment at the top i said, and let me repeat: DAVID HAS A GOOD
POINT ABOUT TAKING INTO ACCOUNT IDEOLOGY WHEN DISCUSSING POINTS VARIOUS
WRITERS MAKE, INCLUDING AND ESP. IRENAEUS.  Now where in that do you get
the idea that you needed to defend and reclaim the point?  It is valid.

> Second point:  "rhetorical device" is the opposite of what I was talking
> about.  All composition during this era was "rhetorical composition."
> "Rhetorical device" (it seems to me) tends to trivialize the complex
> issues involved, although I won't bore the list with a bibliography
> concerning composition in the ancient world.  It just isn't a "device" or
> "trick"; it's the way people wrote in Greek at the beginning of the
> Christian era -- check the progymnasmata, for example.

By rhetorical device I mean the methods of rhetoric, no trivialization
intended.  I have in fact written a couple of papers on Irenaeus' use
classical rhetorical "Composition methods?", And then how is this the
opposite of what you were talking about?  Seems to me rhetoric and its
use in the ancient world is precisely the point you were trying to make,
if not please enlighten me further.  Second, you didn't address the
point, but rather took issue with something you read into my post:  a
neat rhetorical composition device I might add.
The point is that rhetorical use does not mean unhistorical.  If Irenaeus
is using Jesus' age as part of his argument it must be demonstrated on
other grounds that what he reports is not true.

And as he so often does, Irenaeus points the reader to his sources of
tradition, which brings into view another question: Irenaeus as merely
reporting what he knows, but is the tradition from the first century
he reports historical or not?

> Bottom line, though:  Because of my overall reading of Irenaeus's works,
> especially aspects dealing with his doctrine of recapitulation, I doubt
> the truth of his assertion about Jesus' age.

Let me bring the simple truth home David.  Since you read his doctrine of
recap. and so disagree with what he reports, should we therefore
disregard everything you say regarding Irenaeus?  After all you have used
rhetoric in constructing your argument, have admitted to your reading of
the facts: or shall we rather attempt where possible to use reason and
evidence in discussion?  Do you get the point yet?

> Thanks to Lori for for typing out the relevant passages.  That was above
> and beyond the call of duty.  BTW, I agree that Irenaeus left out some
> rather important people in his theory of recapitulation!

Absolutely!

Larry