From: "Gregory Jordan (ENG)" <jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:13:38 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Irenaeus and age of Jesus

On Thu, 13 Jul 1995, Greg Doudna wrote:

> The age of Jesus (as distinguished from the date of Jesus's
> teaching or the dates of Paul) is of no historical
> consequence that I can see.  But I do wonder why there is
> such *certainty* over Luke's tradition of the age of Jesus.

I can only mention two points that don't seem to have been mentioned.  If
Jesus were older when baptized, it would be hard to explain why a person
capable of such a controversial career should live in anonymity for most
of his life.  And if his career after baptism were very long, it would be
hard to explain how Jesus could endure the apparent opposition described
in the gospels.  Plus: if Jesus were in his early 30s, his marital status
would not be remarkable, but if Jesus were a single man in his late 40s
or early 50s, surely people (and he) would have commented on his
"celibacy."

Eusebius had Papias's works in front of him, and he says "he seems to
have been a man of small intelligence, to judge from his books" (EH
3.39).  Of course, this was in reference to Papias's belief in earthly
pre-millenialism, and Eusebius is one to talk, since he has errors of
every sort in his own book. :)  But it would explain his rejection of the
"old Jesus" idea if such occurred in Papias's works.

Greg Jordan
jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu