[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #786

b-greek-digest              Monday, 17 July 1995        Volume 01 : Number 786

In this issue:

        To: B-Greek list <B-GREEK@virginia.edu>
        TON PLHSION SOU = TON EXQRON? (Lk 10:27; Mt 5:43-4
        PARADOUNAI TW SATANA

From: John Moe <parsonco@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 1995 08:45:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: To: B-Greek list <B-GREEK@virginia.edu>

	Subscribe

------------------------------

From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 1995 13:33:54 -0500
Subject: TON PLHSION SOU = TON EXQRON? (Lk 10:27; Mt 5:43-4

Has anyone on the list heard the following version of "The Great Commandment?"

        'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and soul,
        and your ENEMY as yourself.'

Context: yesterday morning I attended a convocation (in a sweltering
auditorium with no A/C in the middle of a vicious heat wave) of a coalition
of 65 metropolitian St. Louis churches celebrating the establishment of a
mechanism and funding for reinvestment in housing and small businesses in
inner-city areas where loans for these purposes have been very hard to come
by. In attendance were several local political leaders, among them the
House Minority Leader, Richard Gephardt, who represents part of our
metropolitan area. In his own brief remarks Gephardt spoke of being taught
in his own church (Third Baptist of St.L.) the summation of the will of
God. I expected him to emphasize " ... and your NEIGHBOR as yourself," and
relate it to the theme of "reinvesting in neighborhoods," To my surprise,
he cited the verse as above. I think he was speaking ad lib without notes,
so I suspected that he was citing it as he remembered it, although others
might well think this is a politician's questionable memory.

However, it struck me both as unusual and as interpretatively sound. This
morning that text as it appears in the Lucan lead-in to the parable of the
Good Samaritan was the gospel reading in my congregation. It would surely
appear that TON PLHSION SOU in this text is deliberately extended to
include TON EXQRON. A bit more reflection and searching the text brought me
to Mt 5:43-44:

        HKOUSATE hOTI ERRHQH, AGAPHSEIS TON PLHSION SOU KAI MISHSEIS TON
        EXQRON SOU. EGW DE LEGW hUMIN, AGAPATE TOUS EXQROUS hUMWN ...

It appears to me that one could, without violating the intent of these
verses, extrapolate and conflate them to yield the implicit teaching:
AGAPHSEIS TON EXQRON SOU.

Two questions: (1) Has anyone ever heard the "Great Commandment" recited in
that fashion? and (2) Does it fall within the realm of legitimate
"paraphrase," as we have recently used that term?

(314) 935-4018