From: "Gregory Jordan (ENG)" <jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 17:41:57 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Passover and GJn

On Thu, 20 Jul 1995, David Moore wrote:

>     Apparently, an ealier message that I posted in answer to something
> Carl Conrad had wrote on this thread never reached the list server.

I know I didn't read it, although I might have deleted it by accident
before reading it.

>     That previous message pointed out that the Babylonian Talmud
> (_Sanhedrin_ 43a), like the Gospel of John, also fixes Jesus'
> crucifixion on the eve of Passover.

I thought the argument running here was that John has Jesus crucified
before nightfall of Passover (that is, not in the "evening" of Passover,
but on the "eve" in the sense of the day before, in English).  The Talmud
is equally vague: it says b'erev happesakh.  To me, that means Passover
evening (which would put it at odds with all the gospels): cf. Joshua
5:10 "...vayya'asu et happesakh b'arba'a asar yom lakhodesh
_ba'erev_..."
    Of course, it's worth noting that everything else in this Talmudic
passage contradicts all the gospels, except his name: Yeshua haNotsri.

 Luke 23:54 and Mat. 27:62
> certainly agree with this as well, if we may understand "preparation"
> in reference to the Passover rather than to the Sabbath.  (Cf.,
> however, Mark 15:42.)  Nevertheless, Mark 14:12 indicates very clearly
> that the first night of Passover was the night of the Last supper.

And Mark considers the daylight hours before the Passover meal and the
evening hours of the Passover meal the same "hEmera," which means the gospel
writers are using the words "day" loosely, so as to guarantee our confusion
(or at least mine).

Greg Jordan
jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu