From: "David B. Gowler" <dgowler@minerva.cis.yale.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 09:01:00 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Irenaeus on Valentinians

On Wed, 19 Jul 1995, Bruce Terry wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, David B. Gowler wrote:
>
> > It was my distinct impression, during a patristics class with
> >William Schoedel many moons ago, that the ideology/theology of Irenaeus
> >*also* made his reporting of such gnostic "heresies" rather skewed.
>
> It is doubtful that Irenaeus was either the first or the last to misunderstand
> and/or misrepresent his opponents' positions.  However, I fail to see how this
> rather human tendency negates the value of Irenaeus' testimony as to his own
> position (for example, his view that Mark 16:19 is in the conclusion of Mark
> [Against Heresies 3.10]).

Please read what I wrote in its context, because I did NOT say that it
"negated" anything -- you have turned what I wrote into a "straw man."

I argued that it is just one factor to be taken into consideration with
critical acumen.  In fact, I agree that it does not "negate" what Irenaeus
had to say.  It does, however, help to place it into proper perspective.

David

David B. Gowler
Associate Professor of Religion
Chowan College