From: Eric Weiss <eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 95 8:34:47 -0400
Subject: Re:  Junia

Here is the citation from John Chrysostom re:  Junia being an apostle --

	Who are of note among the Apostles.  And indeed to be apostles at all
	is a great thing.  But to be even amongst these of note, just
	consider what a great encomium [expression of high praise] this is!
	But they were of note owing to their works, to their achievements.
	** Oh! how great is the devotion of this woman, that she should be
	even counted worthy of the appellation of apostle! **  But even here
	he does not stop, but adds another encomium besides and says, Who were
	also in Christ before me.

This excerpt is noted as being quoted from Theophylact, Traditio Catholica,
Saeculum XI, Annus 1070, in A WOMAN CALLED TO PREACH? by Frieda C. White,
House of Manna Publication, El Dorado Arkansas (c) 1978, p. 49.  I doubt if
this book is in print anywhere.

The single sentence I marked with ** is what I most often found quoted.  The
reference given (in Spencer, below) is Chrysostom's HOMILY ON THE EPISTLE OF
ST. PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE ROMANS XXXI.  I found this statement (as well as
further discussion on Junia) in the following books:

	BEYOND THE CURSE by Ada Besancon Spencer, Hendrickson 1985 (p. 101)
	WOMEN IN THE MAZE by Ruth A. Tucker, IVP, 1992, p. 101 (quoting from
		Spencer)
	IN SEARCH OF GOD'S IDEAL WOMAN by Dorothy R. Pape, IVP, 1976, p. 217
	NEITHER MALE NOR FEMALE by Q.M. Adams, Arthur H. Stockwell Ltd., 1973
		(printed in USA by Christ For The Nations, Dallas), p. 229.
		Adams quotes the entire passage above except for the first
		and last sentence, and his reference is Chrysostom, St.:
		LIBRARY OF THE FATHERS, Homolies (sic) on Romans (Oxford,
		J.H. Parker; London, Rivingtons), 1841, Homoly xxxi, p. 489.
	GOD'S WORD TO WOMAN by Katherine C. Bushnell, God's Word to Women
		Publishers, Box 315, Mossville, Illinois, 61552 ($10.95), no
		date (reprint--author lived 1856-1946), section 642, p. 284.

Happy reading!!