From: "Larry W. Hurtado" <hurtado@cc.umanitoba.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 17:38:25 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Easter Events

A major problem in the "challenge" posted is that the author of the
challenge is insufficiently acquainted with the nature of the sources
he's challenging.  The gospel narratives reflect three major
forces/factors:  (1) the ministry-events of Jesus (here including the Easter
events, whatever one concludes they were, it is widely accepted that some
sort of "appearance" events generated early faith in the risen Jesus),
(2) the subsequent spread of earliest Christianity (here needs of
preaching, teaching, etc.), (3) the writing of the gospels (authorial
intentions to address churches' needs, etc.).
	So the challenge to harmonize each 'n every detail in the several
narratives is simply foolishness.  That's like demanding that every
portrait of some great figure be "harmonized", or that every hymn be
"harmonized".  The resurrection narratives are interpretive and didactic,
intended both as vehicles of the Easter events and as guides as to what
the events mean for faith & life.
	The question is not whether each detail can be harmonized as a
pre-condition for seeing the accounts as "true".  The integrity of the
accounts must be respected for any sound historical work.  But to assess
the nature of the Easter events to which they witness we might well seek
to determine (1) what they have in common, and (2) what is not likely to
have been prompted by the individual actions/purposes of the Evangelists.

Larry Hurtado, Religion, Univ. of Manitoba