From: Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church <pauld@iclnet93.iclnet.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 23:55:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Heb. 6:6, "impossible to renew"

	A Calvinistic interpretation, of course, sees Heb 6, Heb 10, 2
Peter 2 and Matt 12 as examples of the unforgiveable sin, and so that the
individuals spoken of as never really saved to start with.  It is
interesting to note that Heb 6 says nothing about the individual's faith
or salvation.
	If so, the passage is a strong warning against those who might
think themselves to be saved, who continue in sins once convicted of, and
are in imminent danger of certain irreversible doom.  For such there "no
longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain terrifying expectation
of judgment" (Heb 10:26-27).  Such was the case with the Pharisees when
they committed the unpardonable sin.
	P. Dixon

------------------------------

>meant by "it is impossible to renew them to repentance" in Heb. 6:6.  Some
>may say that Heb. 6:6 is properly understood to say that a person who is
>saved and falls away can never be saved again, but I think that most would
>being renewed unto repentance after falling away, usually is explained by the
>distinction between one's "repenting himself" and someone _else_ renewing him
>considered before.  The tense of the aorist participles "were enlightened",
>"tasted", "made partakers" and "fell away" changes to a present participle
>for "crucify afresh" and "put to an open shame".  There is also the use of
>the adverb "once" along with the aorists which accentuates the purposeful
>time distinction being made.  In Greek, the tense of the participle indicates
>the time of action of the participle in relation to the leading verb.
>is the cause of this impossibility.  So long as that state continues, no one,
>not the impenitent himself nor anyone else can bring about a renewal.  But
>The English "seeing" of the ASV and KJV and especially the "since" of the
>NASB suggests some explanitory or causal preposition here.  But there is (as
>cause.)  This suggests to me that a better translation might be "SO LONG AS
>they crucify afresh..." which would imply that there is no permanence to the
>condition of "impossibility" but it remains only so long as they continue to

A few brief notes:

1. The relationship of the tense of a participle to the main verb is not so
clear cut. There are too many exceptions to the rule you specify (which is
a fairly common statement) to be exegetically determinative. Some (e.g.,
Stan Porter) have argued that word order is more useful, but I'm not
convinved that there is any greater consistency here.

2. The shift in form from aor. to present is prob. significant. Note that
the first group is linked by a 'kai...te...te' sequence. The ptcp. 'fall
away' is most directly affected by this link as it would argue that it is
parallel with the earlier ptcps. and is not conditional (as some Eng.
versions transl.). I think that the pres. ptcps. ff. can only make good
sense as causal and not temporal. (There would have to be some other
indication in the context to make them temporal, not just the pres. tense,
per. #1.)

3. Despite most opinions to the contrary, I'm not convinced that "falling
away" must refer to a soteriological fall. Placed in its historical context
(which I take to be Neronian persecution in Rome ca. 64-65), I would
suggest that it refers instead to a failure to go on to maturity,
particularly by denying one's faith to avoid persecution (_perhaps_ [but
not certainly] by a claim to Judaisn once again since the Jews were not the
focus of Nero's scapegoat tactics following the fire of Rome). This
approach makes good sense of all the warning passages in Hebrews.

Rod

Rodney J. Decker                       Calvary Theological Seminary
Asst. Prof./NT                                    15800 Calvary Rd.
                                        Kansas City, Missouri 64147