        To: B-Greek <b-greek@virginia.edu>
        Heb. 6:6

From: JAngelo@eworld.com
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 01:09:05 -0700
Subject: Greek Bible Info

I'm looking for information on studying the Bible in Greek. Are you a
resource?

------------------------------

From: John Baima <jbaima@onramp.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 08:20:31 -0500
Subject: Re: Greek Bible Info

- --=====================_808845545==_

At 01:09 AM 8/19/95 -0700, JAngelo@eworld.com wrote:
>I'm looking for information on studying the Bible in Greek. Are you a
>resource?

Yes, indeed! You can also check my web page. -John

- --=====================_808845545==_

[If you want the pictures, I'll have to mail a brochure to you :-)]

Bible Windows(TM): The research tool for professionals(TM)

Do you want to study the Bible in the original languages?  Do
you want to do Greek and Hebrew word studies?  Do you want to
search for these words alone, in groups, or in particular
grammatical constructions?

If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then chances
are Bible Windows is for you. Bible Windows is the unique Bible
software tool designed for scholars, students, pastors, and
laity who want to do serious Bible study. Study the Bible in the
original languages, with an English translation always handy.

Bible Windows is the computer Bible tool that lets you search
the Greek and Hebrew texts not only for words, but also for
these words in specific grammatical contexts. In addition, every
word in the Greek and Hebrew texts is completely parsed. With
the click of a mouse, you can see if you are working with an
aorist or an imperfect; a Piel or Pual.

When you complete a search, Bible Windows makes it easy to use
your results. Concordance lists can be viewed, printed, or
saved. Clicking on a verse reference takes you immediately to
its book and context. Or, a list of verse references can be
highlighted and copied to the Windows clipboard. Bible Windows
can then copy these verses into your word processor, either as a
list or as complete verses. You can even get English verses to
appear with the original language!

Best of all, Bible Windows is easy to use. Because it is built
around the standard Windows interface, you probably already know
how to use much of it. But don't let its ease of use fool you.
Bible Windows is feature rich, including Power Mousing, cut and
paste clipboard support (to get words or verses into your word
processor easily), and instant verse lookup.

When you select a Bible program for Greek and Hebrew, ask:

(1) What kind of searches can it do? Can it find:

All the places Jesus said "egw eimi?"
Article followed by an infinitive?
Article followed by a participle and have the article and
      participle agree in gender, number and case?
Aorist infinitive followed by a perfect indicative within 4
      words?
Article noun kai noun with no article between the kai and noun?
de/ as the third word in a verse?
Where Mary uses the future tense?
An infinitive immediately followed by an indicative of the same
      tense?

(2) Is the text fully analyzed and can you see the analysis?

In Bible Windows, every word in the Greek and Hebrew is
analyzed. It is not keyed to an English translation which has
different words and word order. It does not leave out articles.
Bible Windows' unique Interlinear format makes all of the
analysis immediately obvious.

(3) Is it easy to learn and use?

A.J. Moen, PhD. for Preaching,  "What a discovery!  . . . This
is the easiest operating program for language help I have ever
used. Documentation is user friendly and enjoyable . . .
Amazing, and great fun!"

(4) What can you do with search results?

Bible Window's Extended Copy (tm) allows you to copy search
results to the Clipboard with an English translation of each
match. This allows you to quickly scan the Greek or Hebrew
search results in English with the original languages right at
hand. You have the option of using any available translation in
the Extended Copy or of just using a translation and not
including the original languages. This is useful when making
handouts for people who do not read Greek or Hebrew.

Bible Windows can easily and quickly print either interlinear
text or plain text:

************Bible Windows has backwards compatibility

Bible Windows can transfer Bible texts and search results to two
of the most popular DOS solutions for Greek and Hebrew word
processing: Nota Bene Lingua and Word Perfect (with either the
Greek language module or Scripture Fonts). This backwards
compatibility helps to protect your current investment in DOS
software.

************Louw-Nida, Greek-English Lexicon

The Louw-Nida Greek-English Lexicon is a unique, 1,200 page
lexicon (the electronic version includes both printed volumes).
This remarkable dictionary is based on the concept of semantic
domains. There are over 90 major domains such as "Learn",
"Time", "Religious Activities" and many more!

This hypertext package allows you to add book marks and notes,
and includes many viewing and searching features. The lexicon
has an English word index, a Greek word index and a Scripture
index. The lexicon is integrated with Bible Windows so that you
can instantly jump into the Greek word index. While this can be
used as a stand-alone product, Bible Windows greatly enhances
its usefulness.

************Intermediate Liddell & Scott

The Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon by Liddell and Scott is a
new module which can be used in conjunction with Bible Windows
and side-by-side with the Louw and Nida Greek-English Lexicon.
This Lexicon is very useful for LXX studies since many words in
the LXX are not found in New Testament Lexicons.

************Biblical Studies Scripture Index

Simplify Biblical research using an on-line reference program
that scans over 1,000 volumes of well known scholarly works in
seconds. Lexicons and dictionaries include the works of Brown,
Driver and Briggs;  Colin Brown; and Bauer, Arndt and Gingrich.
Grammars include the works of Blass, Debruner and Funk; A.T.
Robertson; Moulton and GESENIUS. This breakthrough tool is ideal
for pastors, scholars, students or anyone interested in biblical
research. It is a comprehensive index containing about half a
million individual Scripture references from Genesis 1:1 to
Revelation 22:21.

The Index focuses on Biblical languages, but thoroughly
encompasses theology, church history, archeology, biblical
geography and science. Books for Biblical Backgrounds include:
Edersheim Bible History, Finegan Light from the Ancient Past,
Bruce The New Testament History, and several books by Ramsay.
Books for Church History include works by Schaff, Ramsay, Meyer,
Cairns and Albright. Biblical Geography includes Baker's Bible
Atlas, Eerdman's Atlas of the Bible, New Bible Atlas, Holman
Bible Atlas, MacMillian Atlas History of Christianity and the
Moody Atlas of Bible Lands.

The Biblical Studies Scripture Index is a must for anyone with a
serious interest in biblical research.

************Analytical Greek New Testament (AGNT)

Not all "tagged" Greek New Testaments are the same. The
Analytical Greek New Testament is the best "tagged" Greek New
Testament for a number of reasons.

The electronic Analytical Greek New Testament (AGNT) is based on
a printed edition. Bible Windows uses the Second Edition of the
Analytical Greek New Testament (AGNT) by Friberg and Friberg.
Since 1981, the First Edition of the Analytical Greek New
Testament (Baker Book House) has been the standard for a printed
analytical Greek New Testament.

AGNT text has been thoroughly proofread. One of the results of
print publication is that AGNT has been extensively proofread.

AGNT shows you all the alternative analyses. One of the unique
features of AGNT is that words which can legitimately be
analyzed in more than one way are clearly marked. All other
competing "tagged" texts arbitrarily choose one analysis over
the other.

AGNT takes into account more than morphological considerations,
considering both sentence-level and discourse-level information.
This new edition includes new lemmas (dictionary forms) and some
simplification of the tags.

The AGNT text also marks words which are "used as" or "function
as" more than one function in a sentence. Please see the
appendix to the printed edition of AGNT for an extensive
discussion of all the tags.

The combination of the AGNT analysis with Bible Windows' word by
word glossing (translation) of the Greek New Testament makes
this a highly valued tool by both scholars and students.

************Standard Features

	The most powerful Bible concordance tool (both grammatical and
word) for Windows.

	Power Mousing. Try the right mouse button and see the power
of mousing!

	Movable toolbar for easy access to the most common commands and
features.

	Optional Interlinear display: See the analysis while reading
the text or turn off the analysis with the press of a button.

	Word for word translation of the Greek NT.

	Dictionaries for Greek and Hebrew words.

	On-screen description of all grammatical tags.

	Easy, fast grammatical searches. No complex rules or syntax --
simply fill in a dialog box.

	Save and restore grammatical searches with the press of a
button.

	Directly print texts or lists of verses.

	Copy text in Rich Text or WPWin 6.0 Format.

	Insert verses into your Windows word processor document via the
Clipboard (or Dynamic Data Exchange).

	Extended copy. Copy a list of verses to the clipboard with one
easy step.

	Complete documentation on-line with context sensitive help.

	Synchronized windows.

	Open several windows at a time.

************

Harry Hayne in Computer-Assisted Research Forum,  "Bible Windows
blends ease-of-use with the most powerful Greek and Hebrew
grammatical search ability of the programs reviewed."

Chaplain James Griffith in Military Chaplain's Review,
"Bible Windows is a super program with an intuitive menu layout
and the most powerful Windows based grammatical search engine
available today. . . . The best Windows academic package is
Bible Windows."

"Bible Windows is a fantastic program. It takes the place of
several of the books on my shelves. It allows me to do
infinitely better studies of texts and grammatical constructions
in an even faster time. This makes sermon preparations more
enjoyable than before as I discover "gems" that I might have
missed before because I lacked the time to research EVERY
reference and cross-reference. Thank you for making this program
available." Pastor Robert Trueblood

"Bible Windows is a wonderful program, which I use constantly.
Keep up the good work!" Prof. Ben Ollenburger.

Order blank

Bible Windows Basic (BW, Tagged Greek NT  & KJV) [10 MB required]    $125

Bible Windows Bible Bundle (BW, Tagged Greek NT, Tagged Hebrew
OT, RSV, KJV) [26 MB required]                                       $195

Bible Windows Extra Bundle  (BW, Tagged Greek NT, Tagged Hebrew
OT, Tagged LXX, RSV, KJV, Latin Vulgate) [50 MB required]            $275

Biblical Studies Scripture Index [36 MB required]                     $80

New Revised Standard Version [5 MB required]                          $40

Louw-Nida, Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament Based on
Semantic Domains  [12 MB Required]                                    $50

Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon by Liddell & Scott [18 MB]         $50

Bible Windows CD (BW Extra Bundle, Biblical Studies Scripture Index
New Revised Standard Version, Louw-Nida, Liddell & Scott)	     $295

Shipping per order
US Priority Mail                                                       $5
Foreign Mail, Small Packet Airmail                                    $20

VISA    MasterCard  __________________________________ exp date ______

Name
Address
Address
City
State
Zip
Country

Silver Mountain Software, 1029 Tanglewood, Cedar Hill, TX 75104-3019
(800) 214-2144           (214) 293-2920
jbaima@onramp.net

- --=====================_808845545==_

John Baima
Silver Mountain Software 1029 Tanglewood Dr, Cedar Hill TX 75104-3019
email:jbaima@onramp.net        http://rampages.onramp.net/~jbaima/
Fax 214 293-6641   Voice 214 293-2920

- --=====================_808845545==_--

------------------------------

From: David Moore <dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 11:43:02 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: To: B-Greek <b-greek@virginia.edu>

On Sat, 19 Aug 1995, Rod Decker wrote:

> >Rod Decker <rdecker@accunet.com> wrote:
> >Re: Heb. 6:6
> >
> >>In v. 4,
> >>'hapax phwtisthentas' is an alternative way of saying 'regenerated'
> >>('phwtizw' is almost a tech. term for regeneration in the NT). I.e., once a
> David Moore replied
> >
> >        It doesn't look as though the data on FWTIZW supports your
> >assertion for a t.t., Rod.  But no matter how one understands FWTISQENTAS
>
> There was a good paper presented at midwest ETS a few years ago by Steve
> Spencer on this subject. If anyone is interested, I can dig up the
> reference. (Steve teaches at Dallas, though he was at Grand Rapids when he
> wrote the paper.)

	The data, Rod, the data...  Did Spencer come to the conclusion
you mention?  I really don't see how the data could be construed that
way.  Moulton and Geden list eleven instances of FWTIZW in the NT.  Since
they are few, I'll list them.

Lu. 11:36  hWS hOTAN hO LUXNOS THi ASTRAPHi FWTIZHi SE
Jn. 1:9    TO FWS TO ALHQINON hO QOTIZEI PANTA ANQRWPON
1Cor. 4:5  hOS KAI FWTISEI TA KRUPTA TOUS SKOTOUS
Eph. 1:18  PEFWTISMENOUS TOUS OFQALMOUS THS KARDIAS hUMWN
     3:9   FWTISAI TIS hH OIKONOMIA TOU MUSTHRIOU
2Tim. 1:10 FWTISANTOS DE ZWHN KAI AFQARSIAN DIA TOU EUAGGELIOU
Heb. 6:4   ADUNATON GAR TOUS hAPAX FWTISQENTAS
     10:32 EN hAIS FWTISQENTES POLLHN AQLHSIN hUPEMEINATE
Rev. 18:1  hH GH EQWTISQHE EK THS DOXHS AUTOU
     21:23 hH GAR DOCA TOU QEOU EFWTISEN AUTHN
     22:5  hOTI KURIOS hO QEOS FWTISEI EP AUTOUS

	Although Lk. 11:36 might be construed as equating FWTIZW with
regeneration, it is definitely the context that gives it this sense.  It
certainly could not be taken as a technical term here.  In Jn. 1:9 we also
have a meaning that depends heavily on the context for it's spiritual
meaning.  Also, it is questionable whether John is referring to conversion
when he writes of the light that illumines every man.

	I Corinthians 4:5 is speaking of the clarification of true motives
that Christ will bring at His coming.  Regeneration is not in the subject
matter of this verse.  In Eph. 1:18 FWTIZW is used in the sense of
illumination of the understanding.  The reference here is not to
regeneration, either.  In Eph. 3:9 the meaning is again in reference to
the illumination of the understanding and not referrring to regeneration
as such.  Similar to its use in 1Cor. 4:5; Eph. 1:18 and 3:9; the use of
FWTIZW in 2 Tim. 1:10 is in reference to the clarification of the plan of
God through the coming of Christ.

	Since Heb. 6:4 is the point of interpretation in question, there
is no need to comment on it at this point.  In Heb. 10:32, the meaning of
FWTISQENTES does most probably include regeneration, although I would
submit that the complete process of moving from a lost state to a state of
salvation is what is contemplated by the word here.

	The uses of FWTIZW from the Apocalyps (Rev. 18:1; 21:23; 22:5) may
be taken together.  In each of these passages, light is being used as a
symbol of God's influence or presence.  In no sense could any of the uses
of the word in this book be construed to mean "regeneration."

	If, out of ten uses of FWTIZW (apart from Heb. 6:4), there are
only three that may be possibly construed to mean regeneration, can we say
that "'phwtizw' is almost a tech. term for regeneration in the NT"?  IMO,
a better case could be made for understanding FWTIZW as a t.t. for
"illumination," although I don't think that's the case, either.

	Sure, post the bibliographical reference on Steve Spencer's paper.
I'd be interested to see what he does with this data.

Regards,

David L. Moore                             Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida                               of the  Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us           Department of Education

------------------------------

From: DBWILLIS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 16:48:44 -0400
Subject: Heb. 6:6

David Willis here,

I figured out how to read the MIME encoded file attached to the digest #827.
 If you associate .mme files with Windows Write you can read it.  Here is the
part that was missing:

- -----------------------

- ------------------------------

From: Rod Decker <rdecker@accunet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 17:55:23 -0500
Subject: Re: Heb. 6:6

>David Willis here responding to Rod Decker who wrote,
>

>2. The shift in form from aor. to present is prob. significant. Note that
>the first group is linked by a 'kai...te...te' sequence. The ptcp. 'fall
>away' is most directly affected by this link as it would argue that it is
>parallel with the earlier ptcps. and is not conditional (as some Eng.
>versions transl.). I think that the pres. ptcps. ff. can only make good
>sense as causal and not temporal. (There would have to be some
>other indication in the context to make them temporal, not just the pres.
>tense,
>I think you have that "other indication" in the use of the adverb "once" in
>6:4.

I'm not sure how you think that "once" (= hapax) in v. 4 affects the
temporal nature of the ptcp. in v.6. Could you be more explicit? In v. 4,
'hapax phwtisthentas' is an alternative way of saying 'regenerated'
('phwtizw' is almost a tech. term for regeneration in the NT). I.e., once a
person has been regenerated, if he then 'falls away' v. 6 (which I
explained in my orig. post), it is impossible, etc. BECAUSE this is the
significance of what they have done: 'anastaurountas, etc.' To make it
temporal would be like saying that you can't stop pouring water while
you're pouring water. I.e., 'you can't stop falling away while you're
falling away.' A temporal explanation sounds good at first glance, but it
is tautological. If I'm missing something as to how 'once' in v. 4 changes
this, please clue me in.

Rod

Rodney J. Decker                       Calvary Theological Seminary
Asst. Prof./NT                                    15800 Calvary Rd.
                                        Kansas City, Missouri 64147

- ------------------------------

From: David Coomler <davidco@nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 16:40:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: J 1:1

On Thu, 17 Aug 1995, Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church wrote:

KevLAnder@aol.com wrote:

> Anyway, Colwell argued that THEOS in J 1:1 has a greater probability of
being
> translated "God" (definite), not "a god" (indefinite), since 87% of
definite
> predicates preceding the verb in the GNT are anarthrous.

My understanding is that neither is really accurate, and that when
translating it into English it becomes descriptive--in other words, "god"
with a small g.  The word was neither completely identical with God (big
G), nor simply an individual god ("a god"), but rather god in an
adjectival sense--or as some translate it, "divine."  I think "the word
was god" or "the word was divine" are both more accurate than either of
the two extremes of making the word absolutely identical with God or a
separate god.

David

- ------------------------------

From: David Moore <dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 22:56:46 -0400 (EDT)

Rod Decker <rdecker@accunet.com> wrote:
Re: Heb. 6:6

>In v. 4,
>'hapax phwtisthentas' is an alternative way of saying 'regenerated'
>('phwtizw' is almost a tech. term for regeneration in the NT). I.e., once a
>person has been regenerated, if he then 'falls away' v. 6 (which I
>explained in my orig. post), it is impossible, etc. BECAUSE this is the
>significance of what they have done: 'anastaurountas, etc.'

	It doesn't look as though the data on FWTIZW supports your
assertion for a t.t., Rod.  But no matter how one understands FWTISQENTAS
in v. 4, IMO, one must take into account the larger context of what the
New Testament says about the unpardonable sin in order to understand what
is being said in Heb. 6:4-8 about this matter.

	The context in which Jesus pronounced sin against the holy Spirit
to be unpardonable, was the ocasion of the Pharisees tactic of claiming
that Jesus was casting out demons by the power of the prince of demons.
By pointing out that the Pharisees were aware of the kind of power that
was needed to cast out demons (Mat. 12:27-29; Lu. 11:19,20), Jesus
illustrated that they were not slandering out of ignorance but with full
knowledge that they were resisting and blaspheming the work of God.

	Something similar also appears to be the case with those mentioned
in Heb. 6:4-8.  Their sin had not been for lack of understanding, of
experience, or of power.  Rather, their sin had been committed with the
full light of understanding.  If we take Hebrews as most interpreters do,
believing it was written to Jewish believers who were facing strong
temptation to deny Christ and return to the Jewish cultus, we might expect
that the _sin_ referred to in this passage is some sort of radical and
public reject ion of Christ.

	Then, there is the matter of the previous state of those souls
referred to here who have fallen beyond hope.  (That is the implication of
PARAPESONTES since the compounding of PESONTES with the preposition PARA
serves to intensify of the verb's meaning and to imply enduring results.)
We know, from what is said of them, that they have had some fairly close
relation to the things of God.  But we also know that they are destitute
of eternal life.  It may be that they have had some form of temporal faith
as we find in the parable of the sower typified in two of the types of
soil that produce no fruit. (Cf. Heb. 6:7,8.) Is it necessary to be more
specific?

	We should not overlook that the verses following this passage
sound a contrasting note of hope, essentially holding out the certainty of
salvation to those whose lives show the sincerity of their faith.

From: DBWILLIS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 23:25:05 -0400

David Willis here responding to Rod Decker,

RD<<. (There would have to be some
>other indication in the context to make them temporal, not just the pres.
>tense,
DW>I think you have that "other indication" in the use of the adverb "once"
in
>6:4.

RD<<I'm not sure how you think that "once" (= hapax) in v. 4 affects the
temporal nature of the ptcp. in v.6. Could you be more explicit?>>

I simply was pointing out (as you requested) something else in the context
that would indicate that a a juxtaposition of the time (in relation to the
leading verb, ~adunaton~"it is impossible") of the participles was what was
intended rather than a causal relationship.  To show a temporal adverb is
used in the series of aorist participles which are followed by present
participles would be further evidence (besides the shift to the present
participle) that there was intended a temporal significance by this shift.

Although I did not (and do not) choose to dispute this point in our language
forum (as opposed to a doctrinal forum), I do not accept your
"non-soteriological" explanation for "falling away."  I take the words to
mean (as they seem to mean when understood in their most natural
interpretation) that a person who is once spiritually saved, can indeed
become spiritually lost.

<<To make it
temporal would be like saying that you can't stop pouring water while
you're pouring water. I.e., 'you can't stop falling away while you're
falling away.'   A temporal explanation sounds good at first glance, but it
is tautological. If I'm missing something as to how 'once' in v. 4 changes
this, please clue me in.>>

While it is true that many of these participles are only different terms to
express the same concept of "falling away", I don't accept that this temporal
understanding is a mere tautology.  I would say that it is not a tautology to
say of someone, "once you have fallen into the water, it is impossible to dry
off, so long as you are remaining in the water."   This seems quite similar
to what is expressed here.  At least in my opinion.  Thanks for the reply.

David Willis
DBWILLIS@aol.com
6728 Silver Tree Dr.
Indianapolis, IN  46236