From: BibAnsMan@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 22:43:18 -0400
Subject: Re: More questions on Mark

On 9-28-95, Bruce Terry  wrote:

<<Apparently you missed the discussion earlier this year in which it was
pointed
out that the LXX of Ex. 3:14 has hO WN used alone of God rather than EGW
EIMI.
First it says EGW EIMI hO WN "I am the Being" and then it says hO WN
APESTALKEN ME PROS hUMAS "The Being sent me to you."  However, this is not
the
equivalent of Yahweh; that in verse 15 is KURIOS.>>

Bruce, you are disagreeing with scholars greater than me on this issue.  A.T.
Robertson comments on John 8:58 saying, "Undoubtedly here Jesus claims
eternal existence iwth the absolute phrase used of God" (Word Pictures in the
New Testament, Vol. V, pp. 158-9).  Even in John 8:24, he says, "Jesus seems
to claim absolute divine being as in 8:58" (p. 146).

As for this use in the LXX of the Old Testament, see Deuteronomy 32:39.  An
astounding similar phrase occurs in Isaiah 43:10 where the very words occur
HINA PISTEUSETE---HOTI EGO EIMI.  Furthermore, Kittel regards the same
quoting Isaiah 43:10 as well.  He says, "He is equal with the Father....The
point is not Jesus' self-identification as the Messiah ("I am he") but his
supratemporal being" (Theological Dictionary of the New Testament Abridged in
One Volume, ed. by Geoffrey W. Bromiley, p. 207).

Such noteable scholarship as Baur, Arndt, and Gingrich include the LXX of
Exodus 3:14 in the same section as John 8:58, discussing EGO EIMI used its
reference to God  (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, p. 223).

Grace,

Jim McGuire
Professor at
Logos Bible Institute