[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #919

b-greek-digest            Friday, 20 October 1995      Volume 01 : Number 919

In this issue:

        Re: Eph. 4:9 again
        Re: Q?????
        Re: Wallace grammer
        Netscape 2.0
        Wallace's Grammar
        Re: Porter on the present
        Re: ethical considerations
        Re: ethical considerations
        Netscape 2.0 -- a beta version
        Re: Netscape 2.0
        Re: ethical considerations
        Re: ethical considerations
        RE > Ethical Considerations
        Re: ethical considerations
        Re: 2 Tim 2:15
        Copywrite
        [none]
        Ephesians 4:11ff
        Re: Ephesians 4:11ff
        Re: ethical considerations
        Re: Porter on the present
        Re: Ethical considerations

From: David Moore <dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 15:05:29 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Eph. 4:9 again

Eric Weiss <eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov> quoted his previous post and wrote:

>>If, as Young and Zerwick claim, it should be translated "into
>>the lower parts, that is, the earth," rather than referring to
>>Christ's descent into the underworld, 1) who or what are the
>>captives Christ led (4:8), and 2) how is He to fill all things
>>(4:10) if He doesn't also descend into the lower parts of the
>>earth (cf. Phil. 2:10)?

(snip)
>Our computers were down the last few days, so I may not have gotten all the
>questions 1) and 2) above?  It seems to me that this phrase ("lower parts of
>the earth") must be understood in the context of the "captives" and who/what
>they are, and my understanding of the "captives"--either the righteous dead
>or the spiritual powers of the underworld--would support the traditional
>understanding that He went into the lower parts of the earth, i.e.,
>sheol/hades.  (Again, maybe Lincoln's discussion in his commentary addresses
>this, and I hope to track down a copy soon.)

	A couple of suggestions for pertinent passages of Scripture
relating to question 1, about who the captives are:  see Col. 2:14, 15;
and Mat. 12:29 and parallels.  These would indicate that what Paul may
have in mind is Christ's making prisoners of those forces that stand in
the way of mankind's receiving the full blessing that God has for them.
The figure of the public procession of prisoners - common to victory
celebrations of that time - probably corresponds to the APEKDUSAMENOS TAS
ARXAS KAI TAS ECOUSIAS EDEIGMATISEN EN PARRHSIA, QRIAMBEUSAS AUTOUS EN
AUTWi of Col. 2:15.

David L. Moore                             Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida                               of the  Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us           Department of Education