[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #20

b-greek-digest           Thursday, 30 November 1995     Volume 01 : Number 020

In this issue:

        Re: AGAPAW
        RE: Bible study software.
        Re: Bible study software? (fwd)
        Re: Basic Foundation
        Re: Basic Foundation
        Textual Problems in Mark 7:24, 28
        Vocabulary books for <10 X in the NT
        Answer sheets for BBG
        Re: Bible study software? (fwd)
        Re: Basic Foundation
        Basic Foundation
        Re: Bible study software? (fwd)
        Re: Bible study software? (fwd)
        Re: Bible study software?
        Dative Direct Objects, Heb 1:6
        Re: Textual Problems in Mark 7:24, 28
        Bible study software? (fwd)
        Re: Bible study software? (fwd)
        Re: Bible study software? (fwd)
        Bible study software thread
        Re: Basic Foundation

From: Mike Adams <mikadams@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 23:55:52 -0800
Subject: Re: AGAPAW

I can't seem to find the beginning of this thread. Was the original question
concerning the fact that John 3:16 says "God so loved the world...." but
I John 2:15 warns us to "love not the world"? Many find this confusing.

I recently saw a program on Public television concerning the principles of
language. Children were studied to discover how they learned language. They
noted that the children (and likely all people) had a natural presuppostion
that each word should have only one meaning, and every concept should have a
unique name. In learning a new language most people wish that were the case.
Regrettably, some attempt to translate is if it were.

Both agapaw and kosmos have a range of meanings.

Carlton Winbery wrote:

>With respect to what is signified by KOSMOS in the Gospel of John, 1:10 is
>very interesting.  He was in the TWi KOSMWi, and the hO KOSMOS was made
>through him, and hO KOSMOS knew (aor.) him not.  Obviously the word
>signifies three different things in this one verse; humanity, creation, and
>humanity apart from God.

A recent thread comparing the words for love clearly pointed out that
"Agapaw" denotes a strong affinity and has a range of meanings from a
virtuous affection to a carnal desire.

With this information, and by simply looking at the context we see.

"God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son...."
Love is a noble compassion, the world: humanity.

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world...the lust of
the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life..."
We should not desire created things which will pass away.

One can love (nobly) the world (mankind) without loving (desiring) the world
(physical creation.)

Ellen Adams