From: "D. Peterson" <harpbard@ccnet.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 22:32:09 -0800
Subject: aerete

>>   Not NT, but in 2 Clement there is that strange notion of the female having
>>to become male in order to have salvation.  It's not a literal passage, but
>>some kind of allegory.  I think it is referring to females needing to become
>>celibate in order to be saved-- the opposite of Paul's advice.
>>
>>Tim Staker
>>Timster132@aol.com
>
>Likewise, G of Thomas, Log 114 is pretty explicit in making exactly this point.

I thought the point there was not aerete as 'male' but as 'virtuous'.??

------------------------------

From: rlb4651@televar.com
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 22:40:17 -0800
Subject: Luke 4:4 Byzantine text vs Alexandrian text

Why are the Words "but by every word of God" omitted from the NIV version of
Luke 4:4 in the New Testament?
It is found in the King James,the Vulgate,and [(possibly) I cannot read
greek yet]
in the Byzantine texts (see below).

Luke 4:4 ----- VULGATE:

et respondit ad illum Iesus scriptum est quia non in pane solo vivet homo
sed in omni verbo Dei

Luke 4:4 ------ BYZANTINE:

KAI APEKRIQH IHSOUS PROS AUTON LEGWN GEGRAPTAI OTI OUK EP ARTW MONW ZHSETAI
[O] ANQRWPOS ALL EPI PANTI RHMATI QEOU

Does the Codex Sinaiticus omit the phrase "but by every word of God" in Luke
4:4?

Do the Alexandrian texts omit this phrase while the Greek Orthodox texts
include it?