From: Rod Decker <rdecker@inf.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 22:01:53 -0600
Subject: Re: Classical and Koine Greek

Edgar Krentz wrote (excerpting only one small portion of a lengthy--and
very helpful--summary!):

>One should read a relatively modern discussion of the subject at some time,
>e.g. the discussion in MHT 2 or Nigel Turner's views in MHT 4 (though he
>overstresses the Semitic character). C. H. Dodd's study, _The Bible and the
>Greeks_, balances well the Semitic and hellenistic influences on NT
>language.

A recent volume that collates a number of classic essays on this topic is:

_The Language of the New Testament: Classic Essays._ JSNT supp.
series # 60. Edited by Stanley E. Porter. Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1991.

Porter's massive work on verbal aspect* also devotes an entire chapter to
the subject (ch. 3), concluding that there are no technical "Semitisms" in
the NT (i.e., constructions that can only be explained on the basis of
Aramaic or Hebrew influence), although there are a number of features that
may be due to "Semitic enhancement"--i.e., standard Greek constructions
that may be more frequent than normal due to the speaker's/writer's Semitic
background.

[* _Verbal Aspect in the Greek of the New Testament, with Reference to
Tense and Mood_ (New York: Peter Lang, 1993).]

Rod

Rodney J. Decker                      Calvary Theological Seminary
Asst. Prof./NT                                   15800 Calvary Rd.
rdecker@inf.net                        Kansas City, Missouri 64147