From: Mike Adams <mikadams@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 23:17:33 -0800
Subject: Re: John 5:39-40

You wrote:

>John 5:39   ERAUNATE TAS GRAFAS, hOTI hUMEIS DOKEITE EN AUTAIS ZWHN
AIWNION
>EXEIN KAI EKEINAI EISIN hAI MARTUROUSAI PERI EMOU 40 KAI OU QELETE ELQEIN
>PROS ME hINA ZWHN EXHTE.
>
>"You search the Scriptures because _you_ think that you have life in them
>_but_ these are that which bears witness to me and you do not wish to
come
>to me so that you may have life."
>
>Can the first KAI have the function of a mild adversative like DE?  Is
not
>there a contrast between the fact that they hoped to find life in the
>Scriptures and Jesus' claim in John that life was to be found in himself?
>The function that he assigns to Scripture then is to witness to him in
whom
>life was to be found.
>
>Is this a possible reading of this sentence?
>
>Calton L. Winbery

It seems to me that either one or the other "kai" has to be adversative.
I've always though of verse 40 as being contrasted to verse 39. Still, the
second half of verse 39 does seem more to oppose rather than add to the
first statement. Yet to translate both kai's as buts would obscure the
meaning.

Your rendering makes a great deal of sense. It's like a mathematical
statement a - (b + c). That is, the second two phrases joined  with the
conjunction "and", then the two together contrasted to the first.

Neat insight. I'll buy it.

Ellen

------------------------------

At 11:10 AM 12/10/95, Carlton Winbery wrote:
>John 5:39   ERAUNATE TAS GRAFAS, hOTI hUMEIS DOKEITE EN AUTAIS ZWHN AIWNION
>EXEIN KAI EKEINAI EISIN hAI MARTUROUSAI PERI EMOU 40 KAI OU QELETE ELQEIN
>PROS ME hINA ZWHN EXHTE.
>
>"You search the Scriptures because _you_ think that you have life in them
>_but_ these are that which bears witness to me and you do not wish to come
>to me so that you may have life."
>
>Can the first KAI have the function of a mild adversative like DE?  Is not
>there a contrast between the fact that they hoped to find life in the
>Scriptures and Jesus' claim in John that life was to be found in himself?
>The function that he assigns to Scripture then is to witness to him in whom
>life was to be found.
>
>Is this a possible reading of this sentence?

I think it is, but it will have to be granted that this is an extraordinary
usage of KAI, as if it were KAITOI. Frankly, although John's gospel is
easier to read than Mark's, its diction is anomalous at many points. I
wonder whether this KAI might be viewed as a Semitism, a KAI used like a
Hebrew V'.

(314) 935-4018