From: KevLAnder@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 1995 03:18:19 -0500
Subject: Re: Grammar in Mt 6 and 7

Ken,

Maybe these comments will help:

Matt 6:24--I believe hENOS and hETEROU may be genitives of reference, "cling
(with reference to) the one, and despise (with reference to) the other." Is
it possible that the gen. case is being used in tandem with the prepositions
(ANTI and KATA) in the two compound verbs?

Matt 7:4--Nunn, in _A Short Syntax of New Testament Greek_ (sec. 119) notes
that the first person sg. hortatory subj. can be prefixed by APHES. He
translates: "Let me cast out the mote out of thine eye."  Burton (74) also
writes, "Occasionally the first person singular is used with APHES or DEURO
prefixed, the exhortation in that case becoming a request of the speaker to
the person addressed to permit him to do something. Mt. 7:4; See also Lk.
6:42; Acts 7:34 . . . ."

Matt 7:9,10--What you remember about the uses of OU and MH in questions
probably serves you well here.  MH indicates that the question anticipates a
negative response:  "he will not give him a stone [will he]? . . . he will
not give him a serpent [will he]?" The answer, of course, is "No!"

Kevin L. Anderson
Concord, CA

------------------------------

Briefly, on top of Kevin's helpful comments:

At 2:18 AM 12/31/95, KevLAnder@aol.com wrote:
>Ken,
>
>Maybe these comments will help:
>
>Matt 6:24--I believe hENOS and hETEROU may be genitives of reference, "cling
>(with reference to) the one, and despise (with reference to) the other." Is
>it possible that the gen. case is being used in tandem with the prepositions
>(ANTI and KATA) in the two compound verbs?

Partitive genitive is called for with ANTEXOMAI which is similar to
hAPTOMAI; KATA- verbs, where the KATA- means "against" regularly take a
genitive.

>Matt 7:4--Nunn, in _A Short Syntax of New Testament Greek_ (sec. 119) notes
>that the first person sg. hortatory subj. can be prefixed by APHES. He
>translates: "Let me cast out the mote out of thine eye."  Burton (74) also
>writes, "Occasionally the first person singular is used with APHES or DEURO
>prefixed, the exhortation in that case becoming a request of the speaker to
>the person addressed to permit him to do something. Mt. 7:4; See also Lk.
>6:42; Acts 7:34 . . . ."

This is correct; it's comparable to the Latin use of the imperative SINE,
SINITE  ("allow," "permit") or DA, DATE ("grant," "give") with a hortatory
subjunctive. This construction has become the standard modern Greek
imperative, by the way:
Koine AFES EKBALW --> MG: AS NA BGALW (where AS is syncopated AFES, NA is
clipped hINA, and BGALW is the equivalent of a new verb derived from the
aorist of ancient EKBALLW, pronounced "vya'lo").

>Matt 7:9,10--What you remember about the uses of OU and MH in questions
>probably serves you well here.  MH indicates that the question anticipates a
>negative response:  "he will not give him a stone [will he]? . . . he will
>not give him a serpent [will he]?" The answer, of course, is "No!"

Precisely.

(314) 935-4018