From: "Edgar M. Krentz" <emkrentz@mcs.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 22:36:56 -0500
Subject: Re: Ephesian 4:1-2

I answer one of these questions a bit differently thatn Dale Wheeler.
>Steve Clock wrote:
>
>>4:1) re `O DESMIOS:  Since the principal verb is PARAKALO, 1st singular,
>>I took `O DESMIOS to be an independent nominative.
>
>You are correct; this type of independent is specifically called a "Pendent
>(Hanging) Nominative" or "Nominativus Pendens"; cf., John 7:38.

I would not call this a nominativus pendens, since that constructions
implies that the nominative is without direct grammatical contact with the
rest of the sentence. I would call it a nominative in apposition to the
subject expressed in the verb suffix PARALALW.

Cordially, Ed Krentz

Edgar Krentz, New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street