From: Stephen C Carlson <scarlso1@osf1.gmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 00:57:35 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: help on graphe artios

David Moore wrote:
>"Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:
>>Well, there are plenty of polemics apart from the Reformation ones. Some
>>may even now surface if I express my opinion that the "scripture" here
>>spoken of, in its own context, very likely (I really can't conceive an
>>alternative) refers to the Old Testament, and perhaps not even to all of
>>the OT, but certainly to the Torah, or five books of Moses, perhaps the
>>Prophets as well, but rather questionably the "Writings." Although Paul's
>>letters may have some authority by the time 2 Tim is composed, it still is
>>not, nor would I think any of the NT literature is as yet canonized
>>"scripture."
>
>	Although, IMO, PASA GRAFH refers to all of OT Scripture because
>that is what is implied by PASA without other modifiers (Cf. also v. 15,
>hIERA GRAMMATA.),

I think that GRAFH in the Pastorals might be broader than the OT.  1Tm5:18
apparently quotes Lk10:7 as GRAFH, and PASA GRAFH may be in contrast to
the preceding hIERA GRAMMATA (2Tm3:15).  This does not necessarily imply
that Luke in its entirely was viewed as Scripture, because there is E.
Massaux's observation that the early second century fathers used GRAFH
to refer also to the words of the Lord that were recorded.

>                  the real _crux interpretum_ (I hope I got the Latin
>right.) for this passage is *where* the verb ESTIN is to be supplied for
>v. 16: with QEOPNEUSTOS (wich is how the writer takes it) or with
>WFELIMOS.

	PASA GRAFH QEOPNEUSTOS KAI WFELIMOS PROS ....

The problem that I have with the latter view is that KAI would have
to taken as adverbial ('also') when it really looks like it wants to
be a conjunction.

Stephen Carlson
- --
Stephen C. Carlson, George Mason University School of Law, Patent Track, 4LE
scarlso1@osf1.gmu.edu              : Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs
http://osf1.gmu.edu/~scarlso1/     : chant the words.  -- Shujing 2.35