From: "Carlton L. Winbery" <winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 09:36:06 -0600
Subject: Parsing

Dale M. Wheeler wrote on Feb 29;
>>Thanks Carlton and Carl.  I hope you are having as much fun with these as I
am (no smiley face...I'm serious...which of course to a large number of
people means I'm very ill and in serious need of help, so you guys may not
want to admit that this is interesting and fun !!).<<

For those interested parsing problems, here are some problems I found in
the Vollstandige Konkordanz Band II, "Woerter und Formen." In the
Introduction, they indicate that they will distinguish forms that are the
same except for the accent.  Otherwise they do not print accents (nor iota
subscripts either).

FANHi (under FAINW) plus FANHiS (Matt. 6:18).  The first are found in Rom.
7:13, Rev. 8:12; 18:23.  One that is clearly distinguished is the two
occurences of FANERWSEI in II Cor. 4:2 and I Cor. 4:5.  One is a verb and
one a third declension noun.

Another that is interesting is to distinguish the forms of SWQHTE in John
5:34 and Acts 2:40 which the VKNT fail to do.

or the two instances of PERISSEUSAI in 2Cor. 9:8 and 1Ths. 3:12 (VKNT  Band
II just list 2 occurences).  In all these forms the addition of accents
helps.

The form PERIPATEI occurs 10 times in the NT.  The VKNT Band II divides
them  equally between the present indicative and present imperative (5 and
5).  That can't possibly be right.  How many belong in each form?  They
occur in; Matt. 9:5, Mark 2:9, Luke 5:23, John 5:8, John 5:11, John 5:12,
Acts 3:6, Eph. 4:17, 1Pet. 5:8, and 1John 2:11.

Matt. 8:4  hO/RA Mark 1:44  hO/RA Hebr. 8:5  hO/RA Rev. 19:10  hO/RA  Rev.
22:9   hO/RA Luke 16:23 hORAi=.  In VKNT listed as hORA (3) hO/RA (3).  (no
indication of I subscript in VKNT.)

LALEI in VKNT Band II LALEI= (19) LA/LEI (2), But count them in
Matt. 12:34, Mark 2:7, Mark 11:23, Luke 5:21, Luke 6:45, John 3:31,
John 3:34, John 7:26, John 8:44, John 16:18, Acts 18:9 (LA/LEI), Rom. 3:19,
1Cor. 14:2 (2), 1Cor. 14:3, 1Cor. 14:27, Titus 2:1 (LA/LEI), Titus 2:15
(LA/LEI), Hebr. 11:4, 1Pet. 4:11, Jude 16  All from UBS4.

Can you work out the instances of KRINW Luke 19:22, John 5:30, John 8:15,
John 8:16, John 12:47 (2), Acts 7:7, Acts 15:19.  VKNT Band II shows KRI/NW
(6), KRINW= (2).  Of the 6 KRI/NW, I would judge 2 to be subjunctive, but
which subj. pres. or aor.?  Interestingly UBS1 & 2 treated Luke 19:22 as
pres. ind. while all editions of N-A (as far as I can tell including 26 &
27) treated it as future, hence VKNT Band II would be correct. UBS 3 & 4
agree with N-A26.

In VKNT the two forms of IAQHTE are not distinguished, but see James 5:16
IAQHTE (clause intro. by hOPWS), and  1Pet. 2:24 IAQHTE (quote from Is 53:5
(LXX hUMEIS IAQHMEN).

APOKRIQHTE (3) listed in VKNT.  The instances are in Mark 11:29,
Mark 11:30, and Luke 22:68. Two are imperatives, one is subjunctive.  The
accents in the UBS, N_A help.

This is what happens to people who try to write morphology books.

Carlton Winbery
Chair Religion/Philosophy
LA College,
Pineville,La