On Quoting E-Mail

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Mon Aug 14 1995 - 08:48:27 EDT

"James D. Ernest" <ernest@mv.mv.com> wrote:

>I myself would be VERY hesitant to quote in print any e-mail posting,
>whether private or to a list, without first giving the person
>in question the opportunity to modify the remarks to be quoted, or
>even to decline to be quoted at all. Some of the lists these days have
>really interesting contributions from folks with scholarly reputations.
>Some of the interest is due to the willingness of these people to
>write more experimentally or colloquially online than in print.
>I can't think of any wetter rag to throw over this still-new kind of
>forum than the threat that a careless or tentative offhand remark might
>end up being "outed" into the print world by someone else. In some cases
>it might be perfectly clear that the statement to be quoted
>is uncontroversial and consistent with its author's printed opinions
>or both, but in general I would say: get permission. E-mail is not
>print, and the same rules (in my humble opinion, of course) don't apply.

        I must apologize for initiating a tempest in a teapot over this
matter. The material I posted is from another list (not original with me,
as James implied). I posted it here simply because it has to do with the
medium which we employ on this list and felt it might be of general
interest. Upon thinking more about the matter, I must say I do not
advocate quoting anyone's e-mail messages or e-mail posts without first
requesting permission in reference to the portion to be quoted. What
Prof. Hobbs mentioned, by way of example: that he had been contacted for
permission to quote from his posts seems like a reassuring and courteous
protocol for anyone to follow who might want to cite some portion of an
e-mail message into some other medium.

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education