Re: J 1:1

From: David Coomler (davidco@nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us)
Date: Thu Aug 17 1995 - 19:40:49 EDT

On Thu, 17 Aug 1995, Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church wrote:

KevLAnder@aol.com wrote:

> Anyway, Colwell argued that THEOS in J 1:1 has a greater probability of being
> translated "God" (definite), not "a god" (indefinite), since 87% of definite
> predicates preceding the verb in the GNT are anarthrous.

My understanding is that neither is really accurate, and that when
translating it into English it becomes descriptive--in other words, "god"
with a small g. The word was neither completely identical with God (big
G), nor simply an individual god ("a god"), but rather god in an
adjectival sense--or as some translate it, "divine." I think "the word
was god" or "the word was divine" are both more accurate than either of
the two extremes of making the word absolutely identical with God or a
separate god.

David