Re: J 1:1

From: Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church (pauld@iclnet93.iclnet.org)
Date: Sat Aug 19 1995 - 00:27:47 EDT

        If we recognize a contrast between Jn 1:1c and Jn 1:14 (the two
natures of the Logos), then the translation at 1:1c should probably
parallel that of 1:14. That is, if 1:14 is translated, "and the Word
became flesh," then 1:1c might be, "and the Word was deity." This
translation brings out the qualitative force of the anarthrous nouns. In
both cases it is not 'the God', or 'a god', nor 'the flesh' or 'a flesh',
but "deity ... flesh."