Re: LXX text variation in difficulty

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 1995 - 18:00:48 EDT

> I wonder if someone could make a suggestion regarding some passages
>from the LXX. I'm looking for a good cross-section of chapters, which
>range from easy to tortuous (though I think I'll Job 28, where the
>translators probably had to punt far too much) Greek. I've done some
>work in the LXX, particularly the 4th servant song, but I've no idea
>how that compares to other portions. I'd like to include both prose
>and poetry, but I also don't know if what was Hebrew poetry ended up
>as poetry in the LXX. If so, I'm interested in some of that as well.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Ken Litwak
>GTU
>Bezerkley, CA

Ken, when advanced degree students prepare for an examination in LXX with
me, I ask them to translate, inter alia, the following:

1. Three chapters from Deuteronomy, three from Isaiah (42, 51, 53?), and
three Psalms, especially 22 and 110. (i.e., from the three OT books most
frequently cited OT in the NT). I also urge them to read Daniel 7 & 12,
Exekiel 37, and 2 Samuel 7 (key chapters for NT Christology).

2. If they have a dissertationo topic in mind, three chapters related in
some way to that topic. Thus a student working on Hebrews would necessarily
translate, Ps 95, Ps 110 and Genesis 14.

3. Wisdom of Solomon 6:12-9:18, concentrating on 6:12-7:30;Sirach 44,
47-48, 51:13-30. Psalms of Solomon 2, 8, and 17.

I make these suggestions to (a) cover differing levels of difficulty in
Greek (Wis 7 is a dog for many) and (b) to have students translate material
whose content and language seem more immediately relevant to NT texts. One
could clearly make up another mandatory list that would be relevant, e.g.
material from Jeremiah, the minor prophets, Proverbs, Ezra-Nehemiah.

Cordially, Ed Krentz

Edgar Krentz <emkrentz@mcs.com>
New Testament, Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
Voice: 312-753-0752; FAX: 312-753-0782