Grammars

From: Prchr@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 31 1995 - 02:23:04 EDT

In a message dated 95-08-30 22:31:40 EDT, KevLAnder@aol.com writes:

>Subj: Eight cases or five?
>Date: 95-08-30 22:31:40 EDT
>From: KevLAnder@aol.com
>To: b-greek@virginia.edu
>
>I could go into a lecture about comparative philology in defense of the
>eight-case system, but I won't since most interested persons can read such
>information in Dana & Mantey or A.T. Robertson.
>
>When I have taught Greek to new students at Nazarene Theological Seminary
>(Kansas City), I have taught the eight-case system. I used Ray Summers'
>grammar. I believe that when students learn the eight-case system from the
>beginning they are the better prepared to interface with both systems more
>easily. I never found eight-cases to be more confusing to students than
five.
>If anything, exposure to the eight-case system drove home the fact that case
>function is more significant for interpretation than case form. Oh, and by
>the way, I used Brooks & Winbery during second semester Greek as the grammar
>of choice to consult in tandem with translation of 1 John, largely because
>they have incorporated the eight-case system into their explanations of
>syntax.
>
>I must hasten to add that when I teach Greek again in the future I will
>probably use David Alan Black's excellent grammar. Although he does not use
>the eight-case system, his grammar has the quality of being concise in its
>explanations and in its presentation of morphology as Summers is. So it can
>be seen that I do not think that eight cases vs. five cases is a life or
>death issue.

Has anyone used Lasor's Inductive Grammar? It is not the normal paradigm
based method, but it is the way I learned Greek. I was able to conquer the
verb system in less than a week because of the way he presents it. It is a
nightmare for a reference work, but was a real help in my learning the
language.

For the record I prefer the 8 case system to the five. Interpretation is the
name of the game.