Re: Grammars

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 08:18:57 EST

<x-flowed>To: the Rev. Gordon K. Goltz,

<< For an intermediate grammar of koine Blass/Debrunner/Funk is the
standard. For the more advanced, Grammar of New Testament Greek by James
Hope Moulton is classic. >>

I've posted a couple quibbling messages encouraging people to expand their
categories beyond the two bipolar extremes of "beginner" and "advanced" so
as to add a third category "intermediate" into their vocabulary. And now,
someone has taken my exhortation to heart. But I wonder, you didn't just
assume that since BDF was only one volume, whereas the
Moulton-Howard-Turner [MHT] grammar is four volumes that this means BDF is
an intermediate grammar and MHT is an advanced grammar, did you? Surely
there must have been some other criterion at work here, yes?

<< A useful grammar for beginning Koine is one by James Voelz published by
Concordia Publishing House in St. Louis, MO. >>

In addition to taking into account some of the new insights on Verbal
aspect, Voelz's grammar also tries to take into account that many students
might also be weak in their knowledge of English grammar.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
Disclaimer: "I'm just a simple house-husband (with no post-grad degree),
what do I know?"