Re: translation of "melle"

From: Alan M Feuerbacher (alanf@mdhost.cse.tek.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 1995 - 13:53:56 EDT

Carl Conrad and Edgar Krentz wrote:

>>Both "presence" and "arrival" are possible translations. though I support
>>Prof. Winbury's preference for "arrival" ...
>
>I heartily second Edgar's comments on keeping sectarian religious questions
>out of the discussion. This is evidently something we have to keep
>repeating from time to time.

I thoroughly agree. The reason I brought this up is that certain
sectarian religions hinge their entire eschatologies on the meaning
of "parousia." Your comments indicate that the textual and contextual
considerations do not allow us to derive solid answers to eschatological
questions from such an unclear source.

Alan Feuerbacher
alanf@mdhost.cse.tek.com